E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving to go out last night and it goes from 38 to 37 degrees, the degrees start flashing on the cluster and I hear beeping. It goes up to 38 and nothing.... a few minutes later it hits 37 again, more beeping and flashing, for about 5 seconds then it stops...... I got to where I was going so I didn't have a chance to mess with it but what the hell is going on?

·
next mod: recaro child seat
2,220 Posts
Platinum52 said:
So I'm driving to go out last night and it goes from 38 to 37 degrees, the degrees start flashing on the cluster and I hear beeping. It goes up to 38 and nothing.... a few minutes later it hits 37 again, more beeping and flashing, for about 5 seconds then it stops...... I got to where I was going so I didn't have a chance to mess with it but what the hell is going on?
that's the temperature (and below obviously) at which roads can be come slick and prone to freezing...it's discussed in your owners manual...

·
yuppie racing
1,899 Posts
Jeff43 said:
that's the temperature (and below obviously) at which roads can be come slick and prone to freezing...it's discussed in your owners manual...
It's also discussed every year on this site around this time, when the weather starts changing and the new car owners notice it for the first time.

·
Registered
952 Posts
bmwti said:
It's also discussed every year on this site around this time, when the weather starts changing and the new car owners notice it for the first time.

Or when all the warm weather people go skiing in the mountains ;)

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
:werd: x2

we need to sticky this for the winter season to prevent all the damn threads that are going to start popping up about this :banghead:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I rarly drops under 37 out here, but when it did. I slowed down. Good Bimmer, Smart Bimmer. :bow:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think BMW should have made the ice warning a bit more civilized sounding, perhaps by playing a more melodic tone. Three loud beeps + a flashing dash board should be reserved for something serious - ice warning doesn't warrant this. :)

When I first heard these beeps and noticed something flashing in front of me, I got totally freaked out because I was on the highway in pouring rain. I thought my car was about to break down.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
pardi said:
I think BMW should have made the ice warning a bit more civilized sounding, perhaps by playing a more melodic tone. Three loud beeps + a flashing dash board should be reserved for something serious - ice warning doesn't warrant this. :)

When I first heard these beeps and noticed something flashing in front of me, I got totally freaked out because I was on the highway in pouring rain. I thought my car was about to break down.
Think about that for a second... :hmm:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, shoulda searched... :rolleyes:

I just found it very odd, it didn't seem that cold, I would think it would be closer to 32 than 37...

·
Registered
689 Posts
When you take into consideration the wind chill effect 37 is closer to the point you need to be worrying about ice on the roads rather than waiting to the point of the air being 32 degrees.

Living in Georgia, it is a cold day in hell when the temp warning system goes off.

·
Registered
245 Posts
nEVERCLEAR said:
When you take into consideration the wind chill effect 37 is closer to the point you need to be worrying about ice on the roads rather than waiting to the point of the air being 32 degrees.

Living in Georgia, it is a cold day in hell when the temp warning system goes off.
Wind chill has nothing to do with objects that create no ambient temperatue.

Water does though, start to freeze at about 38 degrees.

A block of steel will be 10 Degrees weather the wind is blowing 100 MPH or not.

I argued with a friend to the point that we dedicated a day to proving this :)

·
bored.
960 Posts
pardi said:

you my friend are a fanatic darwin junior award winner.
--soheil

·
Conceited Prick
1,962 Posts
It's amazing how many times these threads could be avoided if people would RTFM.

·
Registered
377 Posts
i read the post and im like hmm 37, **** the car might be HOT... then i realized its in fahreinheit..

·
The penalty men pay
8,150 Posts
pardi said:
Three loud beeps + a flashing dash board should be reserved for something serious - ice warning doesn't warrant this. :)
Sounds like you've never hit a patch of black ice before.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My bad, my words said one thing and my mind another, I was considering the fact that the road can have frozen patches when the temp is above freezing. :hmm:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts