BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just like the title states, why do i smell gas when i start my car and its cold outside? I live in Winnipeg and we got our first snow today :(. Soon as i started the car this morning, I could smell gas REALLY strong. My car did this last winter too and i couldn't figure out why.

Anyone here have any idea? I checked for leaks in the gas lines and didnt find anything. It's a 2000 323i.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I notice this with every car, they have a gas smell after a morning start or after it's been sitting. It goes away momentarily, right?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
^im from Sk We got a **** ton of snow for oct too it sucks

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Hey man dont know if youve ever had any luck figuring this one out but I too jus had the same problem minus 30 lastnight and woke up this morning inside cab wreaked like gas after letting it warm up it was the injector seals search it looks like a common problem with e46 cold start ups i replaced today and hope im good for winter:confused:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I realize this thread is long dead, but this just happened to me this morning. It is about -20 Fahrenheit out right now. The only difference is the smell persisted inside the car for my 20 minute drive into work and when I got out of the car on my arrival I could smell it outside the car as well. Are the injector seals easy to replace? I can do simple things like tstat and breaks. Otherwise I will just take it to a shop to have done.

I have a 2003 zhp.

·
Registered
26,314 Posts
It took me about an hour to figure out how to get off the little metal clips holding the injectors, but they're right up top...pretty easy to get to.

Just pull one corner of the clips off with a pic...have magnet on a stick around in case you drop one.

See realoem.com for PNs of O-rings.

hth

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info! Do people usually replace the top seal where the injector connects to the fuel rail as well as the lower one (the one i suspect goes bad)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had the same issue with gas smell till warmed up. Monday noon I went out to start car in -20 degree to let it warm up a bit. It started and I let it high idle a couple minutes before going back into work. Still running, I looked back (it is a BMW) and noticed fluid running out under the engine. Ran back and there was a puddle of gas all the way past the rear wheels. Shut it off and had towed to indy. Too darn cold for me to work on. Tuesday indy called and said that it leaked for 10 minutes in shop then stopped. They could not find the leak. They are trying again today after leaving it out overnight. Question - could the injector o rings leak enough to put 2-3 gallons of fuel on pavement in less than 3 minutes?

·
Registered
23 Posts
this seems to be an eternal mystery...me too, just snowed...pretty deep,booted it up and put inside heater on and could smell gasoline...as if i was standing at a gas pump...pumping gas and a big whiff comes up. i put heater off, and it was fine...except for the smell of gas in my nose. 2002 325Ci. anyone still around?

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
why would i only smell this when it snows? when it's cold with no snow theres no smell. smell gets strong when i put heater/defront on.
Just a guess, probably when it snows, the vented air intake for the cabin air inlet is covered with snow, so by default the air is drawn from under the hood either in the cabin air filter box and/or around the seal where the cabin air filter box connects to the firewall.

So you may have leakage on a regular basis and only notice is when snow is blocking the intake grill area in the rear of the hood.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have this issue as well when it is really cold -20 and up. I believe that the injector seals contract and allow fuel vapor to flow in the cabin when the vents open. I have ordered new o rings and clips from ecstuning. I live in Alberta and it's brutally cold right now -35 Celsius I got the o ring kit with clips and bolts for about 80 dollars shipped from ecs

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
13,179 Posts
I have this issue as well when it is really cold -20 and up. I believe that the injector seals contract and allow fuel vapor to flow in the cabin when the vents open. I have ordered new o rings and clips from ecstuning. I live in Alberta and it's brutally cold right now -35 Celsius I got the o ring kit with clips and bolts for about 80 dollars shipped from ecs

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using E46Fanatics mobile app
Did you order improved injector o-rings, or just stock ones?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Ricardo, is it any better now that you've changed it with the original ones? I'm also in Alberta and tired of the petrol smell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you sir! Now with the Chinook kicking in it's not that urgent but I really need to get this done. Have to take care of the Gremlins in the fuel tank first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts