E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it because u like the sports car feel of rear wheel drive? To drift easier?

it seems so few people here own XI models.....

BTW: Does the 330XI or 330CI have optional Performance package or is that 330I only?

·
BMW Land Barge
1,360 Posts
I regret getting the xi myself. It's dry performance is ratrher underwhelming. More to the point, a RWD Bimmer is more than sufficient for any situation in which it has sufficient ground clearance.

And ZHP is ONLY available on the 330i.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I love my XI and it's a damn good thing i got it. I'll be moving to denver shortly and I'd never take a RWD car up into the mountains.

·
Registered
185 Posts
02black330i said:
maybe its the wheelgap??
That can be fixed of course.

As for an Audi, they have huge wheel gaps as well if that's your main problem.

Of course, I haven't had mine for too long, but I love it. We head up into the mountains quite often for skiing and visiting my gf's family and it's great up there. I'm personally glad I bought an xi. :D

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I think the general consensus among the enthusiast crowd is the A4 is better than the 3-Series for awd. The 3-Series xi is much faster but the A4 quattro is the class benchmark for awd handling.

While the value equation of a rwd 3-Series is not as good as an awd A4, the gap is not huge. W/ the awd 3-Series however, the value gap widens.

In terms of reliability, neither is exceptional & they have an equal amount of safety equipment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the last generation A4 Quattro and I like the XI a thousand times more. The overall ride and handling is far superior and I have found my dealings with the service department muvh nicer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I love my XI!!! and the 2003 ones comes with the M-Sport Package so yeah it looks much better than mine... But my XI was wicked in the snow, We just got some crazy snowfall today.

·
blackonblack
227 Posts
Chicago winters can be brutal...every time it snows, my car handles great.

I would have gone with the quattro, but the 1.8T is way underpowered, and I couldn't find myself paying so much for the 3.0, as I am not completely sold on the looks.

anyway...the xi is a great car. my first bimmer, i can see myself keeping it around for years to come as a great winter car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Coming from an M3 owner...

and one who lives in Chicago, I think the XI is pretty cool for the crappy winters we experience here. I just dropped my car off for service and received a '03 325xi and it handles a hell of a lot better than the M3 in the snow. It's kinda peppy too.

I got stuck in my alley yesterday and needed two people to get me out. I'd have to say this is one time where I welcome BMW to take their time servicing my M3.:D

BTW, wheels are somewhat distant from the wells.:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Most of the guys here that own a 330i/ci/M3 or whatever lower their cars, correct? So what's the big deal about the wheel gap on the XIs? Just lower that too. :dunno:

·
Registered
874 Posts
I agree...I think there are more members in in the southern part of the US that the north.

As far as the wheelgap...I think BMW should come out with a height adjust system like the one on the Audi Allroad.

Plus the 330xi is just not as sporty looking...especially on the dealer lot when there are sport package vehicles, coupes, and M cars surrounding it.

Finally, dealers don't order many of them...they aren't that popular...BMW got a reallllly late jump in the AWD game...Audi and Subaru pretty much have owned the field for years now.

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,360 Posts
He and his said:
:werd: :werd:

i think if i was to buy an xi, i rather wouldve gotten a quattro - AUDI
my sentiments exactly. I'd never take an Xi over a quattro. I think I'd even look at Subaru over BM if I needed the X

·
Registered
57 Posts
IMO, if you need an AWD BMW the E30 325ix can't be beat.
The cars are bullet proof and are so inexpensive these days that you can afford a RWD E46 too!!

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
Most people are into modding. Most mods (wheels, lowering, kits) make for crappy winter driving regardless of traction. So why spend more money just to have traction in weather you shouldn't be driving in anyways :)

If I wanted AWD I would have to go for the A4 1.8T and APR stage 3+ :D. Nothing beats turbo tuning for the price in my book.

Tim

·
Registered
86 Posts
i think majority of the XI owners are more "safety" oriented.. and not so much into the "speed" of the BMW...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts