BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to finally mod my car, and Dinan was the first to enter my mind. Mainly because as far as I could think back, Dinan was the BMW tuner I always heard about, but every since I joined this board, I've only heard people putting their stuff down.

Why do people not like their stuff? Is it because there are legitimate issues about their products, or is it because there are people on this board aligned with competing companies?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
because for a company that stresses performance over form so much, their cars show the smallest gains with the highest prices and pretty ugly rims too if you went so far as to buy dinan rims. software for a 325 does not even get you one hp. their intake is exactly as good as every other intake made, their throttle body is not even a popular mod, their suspension is no better than other coilovers and sway bars. Basically you pay for all this stuff that adds no aesthetic benefits to your car and HARDLY any performance benefits. you just end up with 2k down the drain. If it ain't an OBD1 M3 SC'd by Dinan, you can forget about it. Oh, their exhaust has the worst build quality and probably one of the less pleasurable exhaust notes out of all the ones made for the E46.

·
Banned
6,697 Posts
You pay a lot of money for very little. Everything they offer you can find from another company that meets or exceeds quality/performance, and most importantly, cheaper.... much cheaper.

·
Mod Squad
12,623 Posts
As far as I can think back Alpina, AC Schnitzer and Hartge have been BMW tuners. Try and buy a Dinan product in Germany...

But on to your point, for most folks it's a price vs. performance issue. And me personally I have a problem with the fact that they give the impression that they don't void BMWs warranty, 'cause you know if you install and exhaust from another manufacturer and you stereo blows up you're screwed 'cause you voided the cars warranty. :wtf:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just the type of input I was looking for! The reason why I was going to Dinan was because my dealer sells and installs their stuff, but now I don't think that may be a good idea afterall.

·
Banned
6,697 Posts
SD 328I said:
Just the type of input I was looking for! The reason why I was going to Dinan was because my dealer sells and installs their stuff, but now I don't think that may be a good idea afterall.
If you aren't comfortable installing anything aftermarket on your car, take it to a shop that does that type of thing. If you are a little uneasy about the warranty thing, do a search on the board. There are several threads explaining in detail why you have nothing to worry about.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,545 Posts
I have no problems with Dinan. They are a great company and when all their mods are done in conjunction, they actually make the car quite a performer. They do run a little high price wise but for many it's worth it considering the warranty backing. It really depends on ur budget but for me I couldn't spend 2500 on a suspension that wasnt height or dampening adjustable so I went with bilstein. Many of the companies such as KW use the same shocks and springs that Dinan does but thye just dun have the dinan name :thumbup:

·
A bimmer chick moderator :)
48,236 Posts
yep, the dealer has to prove that your aftermarket parts are causing the problem to void warranty

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was going to pass this thread up, but...

Yes, a lot of folks on this board think Dinan "sucks". There are also a lot that do like Dinan, it's just that you tend to hear more post bashing than praising. Generally, those that have it are "happy" with their mods and don't always feel the need to be vocal.

I will be the first to agree that Dinan does not offer the "biggest bang for your buck". I'll also agree that their products are expensive (some argue "overpriced"). I've come to my own conclusion the reason why people don't like Dinan on this board is PRIMARILY,first, their price and second, group think (most of the time, echoing what others have said without support)

If you search, there are numerous threads that bash with absolutely no facts or support. If it's opinions on asthetics, then I can live with that - again, it's not for everyone. Some others and I often ask for evidence for the negative claims, but have yet to recieve any evidence.

Build Material/Quality/Fit:
Tell us how their products are inferior with regards to build? Look at the welds on the stainless steel exhaust, what product has BETTER welds. Koni custom valved per specs, eibach swaybars, fikse forged multi-piece wheel. To name a few, this doesn't seem like a company that offers low quality parts.

Performance:
Besides SC'ing, Dinan doesn't offer significant gains, BUT show us proof how far it falls behind other "bolt-on" mods tuners offer. Yes, I've seen the one gruppem air intake dyno chart.

Dinan Warranty Coverage:
I really don't care about this, as the responsibility technically falls on the dealer/service to prove that a mod caused a damage. And, I don't even care that BMW offers CPO Dinan cars...but this should add some merit to the company

As I often say, I'm not looking to start flames debates (although I may have for this :eeps: ), I'd just like to see more facts along with the bashing.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
well face it, weld are never a problem for mufflers on our cars unless they are super old mufflers, which we dont deal with, seeing that we all have current cars. Anyways, the welding job is piss poor in terms of aesthetics. Dinan takes their form over function theory to the next level with the ugly dull weld mark ridden can they call their muffler. My RD muffler personally, I think has far superior welds and the whole entire thing is SS and polished to a full chrome look. And my tips and can have not turned the slightest bit yellow in my 38k miles of having the exhaust. Thats build quality. And their suspension is no different or better than a cheaper set of coilovers such as the PSS9 which is also adjustable and has good springs and dampening adjustable koni shocks. Also, anyone can go buy eibach sway bars at a cheaper price than what dinan offers it for. Their performance gains are probably on par with other companies, but as i mentioned earlier, their 325 software doesn't even add half a horsepower. And the rims are made by fikse. not dinan. so thats not even an argument here. don't EVEn get me started on the street price of their deck lid badge. hahaha

·
www.piratecove.org
3,743 Posts
if you have the money to buy dinan crap, you have the money to buy real parts for your car

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ward said:
well face it, weld are never a problem for mufflers on our cars unless they are super old mufflers, which we dont deal with, seeing that we all have current cars. Anyways, the welding job is piss poor in terms of aesthetics. Dinan takes their form over function theory to the next level with the ugly dull weld mark ridden can they call their muffler. My RD muffler personally, I think has far superior welds and the whole entire thing is SS and polished to a full chrome look. And my tips and can have not turned the slightest bit yellow in my 38k miles of having the exhaust. Thats build quality. And their suspension is no different or better than a cheaper set of coilovers such as the PSS9 which is also adjustable and has good springs and dampening adjustable koni shocks. Also, anyone can go buy eibach sway bars at a cheaper price than what dinan offers it for. Their performance gains are probably on par with other companies, but as i mentioned earlier, their 325 software doesn't even add half a horsepower. And the rims are made by fikse. not dinan. so thats not even an argument here. don't EVEn get me started on the street price of their deck lid badge. hahaha
Your point is taken. Yes, Dinan stuff is expensive, and overpriced to some. If they are guilty of anything, it's the cost of their products - not inferiority of product. This is my point, unless proven otherwise. Asthetics, there are different buyers out there, thus, different offerings. What one thinks is "ugly", someone else may think is "sick".

The street price of deck lid badge has nothing to do with the company. It is the people selling them, and those willing to buy.

FYI. There are a lot of tuners and other products (non auto related) that are made by another manufacturer, then "stamped" with the resellers name. So, this is not unique to Dinan. What's more, if you're going to outsource your wheels, why not Fikse. Last I checked, they are one of the best made. Yes, one can buy directly, rather than a Dinan inflated price...but this does not make for an inferior product. But this thought process is what I observe in the many posts.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Unless a company can take this sissy a$$ 6 banger out of these tanks and replace it with a motor that can make 500 at the wheels, they suck. (See Hartge) :yikes:

·
Registered
259 Posts
DN328 said:
I was going to pass this thread up, but...

Yes, a lot of folks on this board think Dinan "sucks". There are also a lot that do like Dinan, it's just that you tend to hear more post bashing than praising. Generally, those that have it are "happy" with their mods and don't always feel the need to be vocal.

I will be the first to agree that Dinan does not offer the "biggest bang for your buck". I'll also agree that their products are expensive (some argue "overpriced"). I've come to my own conclusion the reason why people don't like Dinan on this board is PRIMARILY,first, their price and second, group think (most of the time, echoing what others have said without support)

If you search, there are numerous threads that bash with absolutely no facts or support. If it's opinions on asthetics, then I can live with that - again, it's not for everyone. Some others and I often ask for evidence for the negative claims, but have yet to recieve any evidence.

Build Material/Quality/Fit:
Tell us how their products are inferior with regards to build? Look at the welds on the stainless steel exhaust, what product has BETTER welds. Koni custom valved per specs, eibach swaybars, fikse forged multi-piece wheel. To name a few, this doesn't seem like a company that offers low quality parts.

Performance:
Besides SC'ing, Dinan doesn't offer significant gains, BUT show us proof how far it falls behind other "bolt-on" mods tuners offer. Yes, I've seen the one gruppem air intake dyno chart.

Dinan Warranty Coverage:
I really don't care about this, as the responsibility technically falls on the dealer/service to prove that a mod caused a damage. And, I don't even care that BMW offers CPO Dinan cars...but this should add some merit to the company

As I often say, I'm not looking to start flames debates (although I may have for this :eeps: ), I'd just like to see more facts along with the bashing.
:thumbup:

I agree, but I'd like to add comments to Dinan Warranty Coverage. Dealership service will often ask questions and gives you a hard timemore when you bring in your car for service with aftermarket mods (even though the burden of proof is on the dealership end), except with Dinan mods, that saves you plenty of headache mand your car will be fixed w/ no questions asked.

Also, I wonder if "fanatics" here who bashed on Dinan mods and saying it sux, bad quality, rip-off, had ever own a Dinan car before?? If you have not driven or own a Dinan mod car...stop making any judgements unless you have the credibility other than that please STFU...

BTW car performance is not all about HP gain!!! if you take only HP and weight ratio as performance, why don't you just strap a S/C V-8 into your gokart??

1 - 20 of 49 Posts