E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hmmm another “convenient” thread lol. I just lost the DS too and need to open up the door to confirm. Anyone have tips for replacement and/or best place/brand to buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'02 525i Touring, ZF 5spd, VF supercharged.
17 Posts
I would suggest OEM ones, but then I went and looked and holy crap, they are almost $500 from FCP Euro.

Honestly, I'd go pick something under the "standard replacement" category on RockAuto

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I see that the drivers side has been replaced three times on my car.
It's a bad design: the glass lifter (elevator) is a metal bracket which bolted to the glass, but it has plastic molding to hold the steel cable ends, and the weak-link plastic cracked then broke, leading to loose cable and a dead window regulator. Why they didn't make the elevator 100% metal? Assembly issue: it's impossible to assemble the metal elevator to the guide rails. Of course the elevator can be 100% metal but the design will need more assembly time.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
8,368 Posts
Agree with Sapote.
As soon as you start to hear the proverbial "tink" from the regulator cable, it's coming up on you.
Conversely the coupes, will tink for a couple of years before they need a regulator.

If I had to guess, my ratio of 4 dr. to 2 dr. regulators is about 7 to 1....

·
Registered
'04 325i, '02 325iT
1,056 Posts
I would suggest OEM ones, but then I went and looked and holy crap, they are almost $500 from FCP Euro.

Honestly, I'd go pick something under the "standard replacement" category on RockAuto
Another alternative is buying used from a salvage car. It can be questionable in terms of what you're getting and is extra work to remove it from the junk car, but you can usually find a good genuine BMW part for around $20. Judging by the number of cars I see with removed door panels it seems to be a popular part to grab at the pick n pull.

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,466 Posts
Plastic in another poor place ,it's all over these cars

The window also seals to the rubber ,sticks ,and puts strain on the poorly designed reg

I used uro premium, no complaints

You guys really gota stop giving that pos family at rock auto your money

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,924 Posts
I had to replace the front driver and the front passenger side once each so far - but can't complain as this spans 15 years and two cars...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Both ZHP sedans that I bought in the last 3 years with varying miles (one was 120k miles the other was 240k miles) required at least 2 window regulators when I bought them. I just end up changing all 4 while I'm doing it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts