E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's cold as a witch's tooth ;) here in altus, ok.
this morning, around 0800, i started my car.
the outside air temp (according to my car) was 35*f.
but when i started the car, a) it almost died and b) the outside air temp was *flashing*. :dunno:

i'm talking about the little window in the center of the instrument panel - just the *lower [ie outside air temp]* portion.

why did it do that?
obviously it has something to do with the cold soaked engine...

how bad wiill the cold temps mess up my engine?

thanks!

·
2 point five 3 two 3 i
3,906 Posts
it just means that temps are cold enough for ice to form on the roads. just a little audio warning.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,959 Posts
i heard that bmw cars

warn you when the temp. go below freezing. that it flashing the temp. to you as a warning that their will be ice on the roads.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
srry lol i hate to be an a$$ but its 37 degrees
-Rock On

·
I'm not a bum, I'm a nomad
932 Posts
Hmm I swear my car has beeped at me like at 41 degrees. BUt I think even at temps above freezing it is very possible for ice to still be on the road.

·
I'm not a bum, I'm a nomad
932 Posts
Oh guess I dont remember correct. Thanks for the info guys, now when my girl asks why my car beeps I dont have to make up some smart ass answer.:thumbup:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Da bible says:

Ice warning
If the outside temperature drops to approx.
+37.5 F (+3 C), the onboard
computer switches automatically to the
outside temperature display. In addition,
a signal sounds as a warning and
the display flashes for a brief period.
The warning is repeated whenever the
temperature climbs to at least +43 F
(+6 C) following the last warning and
then drops back to +37.5 7 (+3 6).

·
Mod Squad
10,080 Posts
Don't worry about the temps causing any engine problems, after all these are German cars, and it gets a little cold there too. ;) Just for a little more assurance, my e46 made it through the cold weather at Altus just fine. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
AVRed1 said:
Oh guess I dont remember correct. Thanks for the info guys, now when my girl asks why my car beeps I dont have to make up some smart ass answer.:thumbup:
Just tell her your car beeps because it thinks she's hot... That'll get you brownie points, and no need for a stupid(er) response...:thumbup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
russ330 said:
Don't worry about the temps causing any engine problems, after all these are German cars, and it gets a little cold there too. ;)
too shay!
(i don't really know how that's supposed to be spelled ;))

·
Registered
681 Posts
becki said:

too shay!
(i don't really know how that's supposed to be spelled ;))
Touche:thumbup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine flashes just about every day now. Whether it's -4F or 12F or 104F. It doesn't help that my sensor's busted though. Not a big deal, rite?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts