E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Believe it!!!
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't make sense?

2001 3-series, to upshift, you pushed the gearshift lever fdorward to upshift (in the steptronic mode) and pulled backward to downshift.

You now have to push foward when you want to downshift and pull backward to upshift.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,082 Posts
I know I prefer the 2001 way, but whatever floats your boat...If you really care, you can order the 2002 shift gate and using some magical wire splicing or whatever, reverse the way you push to shift...ask the guy that sells the SMG steering wheels...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I dunno I think its great, personally I would have reversed the old step so that it was this way. I can't see why everyone is so amazed. The way i see it that when you accel your forced back in your seat, thus u pull shifter back, and when slowing down you get pushed forwards so its easier to push the stick forwards.

Call me crazy, it just feels right, its hard to explain,but then again I drive manual so its prob cuz I love that feeling when u slam it back into 2nd :D

·
www.piratecove.org
3,677 Posts
i had a '03 step loaner and it makes a ton more sense the way its setup now.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
This was much discussed when the change first took place. ViceGripX got it exactly right. This setup came from the race cars with sequential gearboxes. The pull-to-upshift motion is consistent with the G-force pushing back the driver during accelerations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I totally agree with ViceGripX. It was also done so that all BMW's would be consistent. With the introduction of the SMG II on the E46 M3 they changed the Steptronic mode on all remaining models to be the same as on the M3. It is like this on all Z4's, 3's, 5's, and even some late model Z3's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts