BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
safety feature -- presumably when you are using your high beams, you are not in a situation requiring your fog lights as well. think it's in the manual...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yep. Thinks it's a state law.

·
Groccery Getter
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ausfahrt said:
Ok, does your fog lights turn off when you put your high beams on. :confused: :confused: :dunno: :dunno:

I wasn't sure if it was a American option or a German. I've seen a few cars in Germany with the foglights on with the highbeams on. I thought I was the only one.:lmao:

·
E46Fanatic
3,121 Posts
actually, i don't know if it's the law in the US or just in certain states, but it's illegal to have your fogs on w/o your headlights. That's why many cars w/ fogs, only turn on with the headlights. What a stupid law :tsk:

·
The De46vil's Army
16,349 Posts
truwon said:
yup, except for the first day I had my car, they were all on.
too bad those aren't your high-beams, they are DRL/passing lights, high beam is part of the HID bi-xenon , hense the "BI" in bi-xenon, looks good though, but there is no way to have DRL/PASS on at the same time as the high-beam-xenon,

pass = pull back
high = push forward

no way can you push and pull the same lever at the same time.

·
E46Fanatic
3,121 Posts
VALMONT said:

too bad those aren't your high-beams, they are DRL/passing lights, high beam is part of the HID bi-xenon , hense the "BI" in bi-xenon, looks good though, but there is no way to have DRL/PASS on at the same time as the high-beam-xenon,

pass = pull back
high = push forward

no way can you push and pull the same lever at the same time.
looks like he has pre bi-xenon. they started using them in 02'. he has the standard xenon headlights and halogen highbeams.

·
T!TSLVR
1,258 Posts
yeah, i noticed that the first week i got my car! No fogs with High Beams :sad: And if you turn your fogs on (in auto headlight mode), your lights come on too!!!

Only way to have fogs and no headlights is to switch it to parking lights.... and turn on your fogs ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've heard that there is a law that states you can't have more than 4 lights ON on the front of your vehicle on the street. This is why they supposedly turn the fogs off when the highs come on. Most of the cars I've owned have been very easy to modify this so that all lights stay on when you pull the highs on. I figured that I only used the highs when nobody else was around to light the road better, who would care if I had a million lights ON on the front of my car if nobody ever saw them but me??

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't know why anyone would want to have their high beams on in any situation that requires fog lights - unless you're one of those clowns who feels his car looks 'cooler' with the fogs on. Man, I thought it was bad enough when the ricers were the only ones driving around like this, now it seems like every 4th vehicle out there is.

·
Registered
443 Posts
fim32 said:
safety feature -- presumably when you are using your high beams, you are not in a situation requiring your fog lights as well. think it's in the manual...
Not a safety feature. There is a law about how much candle power you can put out and if you
had high beams and fogs on you would exceed this. So most cars with your high power aftermarket xeons are most likely already over this limit :D . Just wanting to keep you informed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts