·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You MUST read below if you've just:

-Removed Intake Manifold
-Replaced CCV
-Removed Fuel Injectors or Fuel Rail
-Replaced hard coolant hoses (or heatercore hoses)

or if you are experiencing a

*** Crank but NO Start ***

So...Long story not so short (there are some GOOD LESSONS in here!!):
It was driving me NUTS...I just finished cleaning the intake manifold...replacing CCV...replacing Crank Position Sensor...replacing the all the coolant hoses / hard lines under the intake...
Of course I had all the engine sensors unplugged...
I even unplugged the coil harness from the DME (in the E-Box) for more room to work of course...

Unfortunately the car sat for about 1.5 weeks waiting on parts and other things (like free time)...and on top of it I'm pretty OCD when I break things down...out comes the scotch brite and carb & brake cleaner!!!

Lesson #1:
-If you don't have a garage and live on earth...make sure you put plastic over the engine and PUT THE CABIN FILTER BOTTOM PLATE BACK IN!!!! Why?...Rain happens...and you don't want it in your squeaky clean cylinder head!!!
After I cleaned out all the water from the open intake valves (dry vac & cranking the engine with ALL sparkplugs out ->I say again ALL sparkplugs OUT so you don't hydrolock the engine!!!) I went back to work.
Got it all finished and went to crank...

No Joy...No Lightoff...No Beautiful Bavarian Grumble...

Did the obvious:
-checked spark
-checked fuel rail (schrader valve)
-checked injector harness (voltmeter)
-checked fuel injector (wet sparkplug & fuel smell from sparkplug hole)

Thanked the internet when I found:
Lesson #2: -Checking ALL Engine Harness Connectors
Lesson #3: -Checking DME FUSES in the E-Box:

...still no joy...:wtf:

until..........Lesson #4....IE: "Don't Give Up!"

"WHOLY WASHOUT!!!

I was stumped...but for all the sitting the car did and all the cleaning I did...It seemed plausible...esp since I wasn't getting even a single cough....

So grabbed a syringe and some vacuum line and squirted about 15cc of oil in each sparkpug hole and EUREKA!!! My Bavarian Beauty came back to life!!:woot:

Thank you SOOOOO much to ALL that contribute here and youtube!!!
-Please learn from my mistakes!!!

·
Premium Member
28,908 Posts
Believe it or not, I have had similar cases where even adding oil did not help and it turned out the problem was the battery was low but the engine seemed to be cranking normally.

Engine cranking speed and crank Voltage are important to how easily and quickly these engines start.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I could see oil washed off the cylinders causing a compression issue with an old, cold diesel - but a fuel injected gasoline engine? Diesel needs the compression and resulting heat to fire. But unless a gasoline engine is so worn out and has such marginal/bad compression, I am having a hard time accepting that it would not start due to compression. I mean gasoline vapor and a spark and "bang", right? Even with literally no rings on the piston just for argument sake, you're going to get fire in the holes. Are you sure it was not some other wet component that finally dried from the engine pumping and got you going? Might be worth a compression check to solve the mystery but I'm sure you're buttoned up and driving it now - making that of low interest at the moment.

·
Registered
2018 Audi S4
6,596 Posts
My son friend had a high mileage Volvo that wouldn't start one time during a cold snap, <0°F.
Had it towed to a shop, they put oil in each cylinder and it fired. I'm sure being inside and probably a fully charged battery helped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Yup, that's happened on 3 of our cars, too. Starting the car to move it 5 feet in cool- not cold- temps does it to us.

Mobil1 0-40 seems to do it much worse than Rotella T6, but so far, that's anecdotal... as in, haven't been using the
T6 long enough to really be sure.

t

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Rotella t6 is some good stuff. Any other brand and my car burns a quart every 1000 miles or less. Rotella t6, I can go 2000 miles before I'm a quart low.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts