BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all !

I recently had a battery drain problem and sudden death of the car on the red light. It turned out it was the bad alternator.

I drove about 1000 miles after I replaced an alternator.

Now my car died on the red light once. The whole electricity went out and I was not able to do anything for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds after I could re-start the engine and went on.

It happened once and it's fine for now.

Do you have any idea what could trigger the sudden death of my car on the red light? The alternator is charging the battery well and I no longer have battery drain problem. Everything seems working fine except the one time of death.

No pre-symptom was noticed, no rough idle whatsoever.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
check your battery connections in the trunk and all of your grounding straps on the alternator, battery, etc. my guess is over time the vibration of the car loosen the cables because they were never tighten to spec to begin with.

also..to extend the life of your alternator make sure your cooling duct to your alternator is present and install properly. this is the #1 killer to our alternator and not many people know about it (sadly). the cooling ducts attached to your air/brake duct on your front pumper and goes up to your alternator. it is nothing more than a $10 piece of plastic tube.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts