E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 325xi Touring
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Tourings!

I live in a generally very rainy climate. I don’t often have any reason to open up the back and get at the spare tire but when I recently did, perhaps after a particularly rainy season of months, I was shocked to find an incredible amount of water sloshing around in the tire well! Gallons.

My first investigations how so much water got there have come up dry.

Any idea where all this water might be getting in and how pooling there? Or how to trace it?

I do not have any dampness at all under the floor mats in the front or passenger seats.

I do seem to get a lot of condensation/fog on the windshield blowing up out of the vents if conditions are right. That is, sometimes when certain air temp and outside precipitation and driving stopping driving again come into some sort of condensation-producing alignment I can’t quite put my finger on.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
My cause was small hole in taillight gasket. Dry the trunk and strategically place some paper towels around inside. Then soak with hose to locate leak source. I installed new gaskets and problem solved. Others have reported issue with damaged trunk seal or delaminated tail light. GL

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
In my case: the gasket/rubber of the locking pin of the tank "door" (I dunno what it's called in English). But this caused my battery surrounding to be wet, not the spare tire.

Reactions: roaldsimonson

·
Registered
2003 BMW M3 SMG Convertible; 2000 BMW 328CI 5MT; 1997 BMW 328I 5MT Swap; 1996 BMW 328IS 5MT Swap
4 Posts
for me step one would be to visually inspect the trunks rubber seals for anything obstructing their seal (tree leaves or even twigs) or even deterioration, anything that would typically seal and keep water from coming in could have a small puncture or crack and open flood gates lol. then id also check around your taillights as it too has a rubber weatherseal that can kink or tear and let water in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts