E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say you have a new 3-series automatic, and of course you're driving it VERY gingerly the first 1000 or so miles... does the adaptive feature interpret your driving during the course of an initial set of miles and peg you accordingly? In this case, locking you into a conservative shifting pattern? Or, will it realize, once you start driving it a little harder, that you want higher shift points and RE-adapt?

In other words, is it CONTINUOSLY adaptive over time?

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
it is continuously adapting... what I dont know is what happens if you buy engine or tranny software.. will it just adapt itself out of the performance software?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Yes, this is the problem with adaptive transmission AND throttle adaptation. The adaptive algorithm is in the BMW technical information although I don't want to dig for an hour to find it again. Dinan for example knows how to raise the adaptive values which are set as profiles the transmission controls memory as well as the variable (adaptive) values which are more than likely similar to engine short term and long term trim adjustments for fuel ratio. You have X as the short term measurement of requested and Y as the long term measurement of power output and Z which determines based on these two numbers, the adaptive variant during normal driving conditions.

Essentially you are not "locked" into a given pattern because it is "adaptive" but yes you are correct in the assertation that when you drive less aggresively, you receive a shifting delay and pattern that is also less aggressive. But similar to throttle adaptation, when you go into "kick-down" meaning you press the accelerator to the floor, you are requesting immediate power from the engine and transmission although it is after a second or two of delay to receive it which is my complaint about the usefulness of adaptation. Basically BMW should give us the option to turn all adaptation off.

It is my understanding that regular "D" mode is adaptive driving mode, "S" or sport is using a agressive profile in memory non-adaptation, and "M" or manual mode uses yet another profile that is slightly less agressive than "S" and has more shifting delay. The same transmission is used on the Cadillac CTS and they describe the modes as normal, sport, and winter. So obviously the transmission profiles are customizable which Dinan has done for the BMW.

There is a new variant of the ZF transmission coming out which will have a higher torque and RPM rating and is 20 percent lighter in weight and only has a 12 percent loss at the wheel compared to 17 percent for the current transmission. It will also have more custom modes (ala 6 modes on the M3 SMG) and will be a six speed auto tranny and we may see this in the next 3 series and 5 series. But then you could argue, why not just go SMG!

Bummer said:
Let's say you have a new 3-series automatic, and of course you're driving it VERY gingerly the first 1000 or so miles... does the adaptive feature interpret your driving during the course of an initial set of miles and peg you accordingly? In this case, locking you into a conservative shifting pattern? Or, will it realize, once you start driving it a little harder, that you want higher shift points and RE-adapt?

In other words, is it CONTINUOSLY adaptive over time?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Basically they change the adaptation ranges and the profiles for sport and manual mod

They are basically setting more aggressive values.

Delirium said:
it is continuously adapting... what I dont know is what happens if you buy engine or tranny software.. will it just adapt itself out of the performance software?

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
if you want to reset the "adaptive" setting so that it will relearn your driving style, you only need to disconnect the battery from your car for about 15-30 minutes, then reconnect it. This is what the mechanic at a dealership told me.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
No not disconnect battery, you need to disconnect the negative lead to the battery.

Yes this will reset the tranny adaptation. To reset the throttle adaptation, do a search on my name and throttle adaptation reset procedures I posted :search:

PowerDrift said:
if you want to reset the "adaptive" setting so that it will relearn your driving style, you only need to disconnect the battery from your car for about 15-30 minutes, then reconnect it. This is what the mechanic at a dealership told me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Kevin does the Caddy use the GM Tranny or the ZF? Not all E46's have the GM tranny 2001+ have ZF. And the 6 speed auto tranny from ZF might be the one thats already on the 7 series!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Yeah let me clarify. I always tend to speak with my car in mind.

Agamemnon is correct, all 2001+ has ZF tranny which I was referencing. The GM tranny however operates on the same principal of adaptation.

The new ZF might be in the 7 series. I heard that from somewhere to. I just don't have a updated ETK to know this. I heard that we might get a 6sp variant in the next 3/4 series. The Caddy uses the ZF tranny which they have their kinda sport CTS which will be coming out and will use the new tranny.

Agamemnon said:
Kevin does the Caddy use the GM Tranny or the ZF? Not all E46's have the GM tranny 2001+ have ZF. And the 6 speed auto tranny from ZF might be the one thats already on the 7 series!

·
Go fast Daddy!
192 Posts
Re: Re: Who understands 'adaptive' automatic transmission?

KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:

It is my understanding that regular "D" mode is adaptive driving mode, "S" or sport is using a agressive profile in memory non-adaptation, and "M" or manual mode uses yet another profile that is slightly less agressive than "S" and has more shifting delay.
This is not correct. S mode is adaptive. For instance, starting from a clean slate or a reset mode, both D and S modes will start in 2nd gear. S mode is adaptive and can be taught to start in 1st gear simply by stomping the pedal several times from a dead stop (not sure if you can do this in D mode as I've never tried it).

M mode is not agressive or non agressive as it is purely a manual mode operation of the transmission.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hmmm.....

The only time my steptronic starts in 2nd gear is when I'm in manual mode and forget to downshift at a stop. Both Normal & Sport mode have always started in 1st gear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts