E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHO TRACKS their car? how often?how do you like it?is it worth it?expensive?which track do you take it to?
Giandu

·
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch
3,325 Posts
When I had my car, I did. It's definately worth it. The cost depends on what you want to do. I went to Buttonwillow and Willowsprings.

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,434 Posts
when I had my S4 I tracked it on a couple of occasions. The costs can be as little as a $25 entry fee and a $100 helmet or as much as you can imagine. Depends on how involved you get. I ran my car completely stock (except for springs/shocks) and just payed the entry fee. I loved it. If I had more time and money, I'd do it all the time and get more involved.

I would definitely recommend taking a BMWCCA auto-x driving instruction class. You'll learn more than you can imagine. Definitely the best investment if you're seriously thinking about getting involved.:thumbup:

·
E46Fanatic
3,120 Posts
mc said:

I would definitely recommend taking a BMWCCA auto-x driving instruction class. You'll learn more than you can imagine. Definitely the best investment if you're seriously thinking about getting involved.:thumbup:
closest one on the east coast is south carolina right?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Track days can cost anywhere from $100-$300/day depending on the time of year, the track, and the organization putting on the event.

If you go just once or twice a year it's not so bad. I'm a more serious track junkie and went to 14 track days last year. When you start going to that many, the cost goes way up due to maintenance items like tires, brakes, fluids, and tools. Add to that the desire for more speed through mods and your wallet could be hurting big time.

A lot of the guys who go to track days own their own businesses so they write off some of the costs on their business.

Track days are a lot of fun and if you take home the right attitude and knowledge, you will be a much better driver on the street.

·
1,434 Posts
StreetTrixE4six said:

closest one on the east coast is south carolina right?
no no....check with your local BMWCCA organization. They have them all over. I'm going to one on April 1 or 2 at Lime Rock in CT. This isn't BMWNA affiliate, it's a non-profit organization that does everything BMW related.

check BMWCCA

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,083 Posts
The STLBMWCCA hosts driving schools through out the year and the registration fee is $250 for the weekend.

Keep in mind you'll need to buy a helmet and budget enough money for brake pads, brake fluid, tires, etc.

IMHO, it's totally worth it. You'll have a blast and you'll learn a ton about vehicle dynamics. :D

You should try it at least once.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm interested in taking one of these instructional classes. Do any of these classes let you use their cars instead of your own though (although I realize it would be more expensive for sure)? I don't want to deal with the maintenance issues and don't want to deal with warranty issues either since they told me specifically no track racing when I bought my CPO car.

·
1,434 Posts
Dre325 said:
I'm interested in taking one of these instructional classes. Do any of these classes let you use their cars instead of your own though (although I realize it would be more expensive for sure)? I don't want to deal with the maintenance issues and don't want to deal with warranty issues either since they told me specifically no track racing when I bought my CPO car.
I haven't heard of anybody doing that. I think you'd have take a trip to Spartanburg for that:dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts