BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how difficult it is. I'm gathering info so that when/if my clutch goes I will know what to do. I know how to change the clutch on my previous ride and can't imagine the E46 is much different. Looking for the do-it-yourselfer for input on difficulty.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
Changing our clutches is just not for the average do it your selfer. It's definitly more difficult than the majority of mods though definatly not beyond your abilities if you have a lot of experience. Almost everyone getting a new clutch or fly wheel gets it done by an experienced mechanic. One of the major barriers for most people is the tools needed (lift, ext.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
If you've done a clutch job before, then there are no big new gotchas with the E46. The process is pretty much remove exhaust, remove driveshaft, remove tranny, remove clutch. If you've never done a clutch job before and want to DIY, make sure you have someone there who's done one before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
topazmania said:
If you've done a clutch job before, then there are no big new gotchas with the E46. The process is pretty much remove exhaust, remove driveshaft, remove tranny, remove clutch. If you've never done a clutch job before and want to DIY, make sure you have someone there who's done one before.
Ok, cool. I called the indep shop and they wanted $950 to change it and that didnt even include resurfacing the flywheel. Sheesh! I dont need it yet, just wanted to see when the time comes. I'll probably be keeping an eye out for a good clutch to bye and maybe a lightened flywheel too!
 

·
frequent tire purchaser
Joined
·
657 Posts
ScottV said:


I'll probably be keeping an eye out for a good clutch to bye and maybe a lightened flywheel too!
What would be a good clutch? What about the rumors of installing an E36 M3 clutch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
That's a bit much considering the fact that BMW will change it for $607.50 CAD including labor and parts. It says so on their website.

http://www.bmw.ca/english/products_services/service/service_sub-fs.asp?section=value_pkg

ScottV said:


Ok, cool. I called the indep shop and they wanted $950 to change it and that didnt even include resurfacing the flywheel. Sheesh! I dont need it yet, just wanted to see when the time comes. I'll probably be keeping an eye out for a good clutch to bye and maybe a lightened flywheel too!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top