BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sofa-king-what
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'ts impossible ,that in the whole world, only dinan produces tranny sw.....:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

i can't believe that...

i've already checked all the major tuner here in europe,but none of them have "something" for the transmission....

i've heard about different torque converter but i don't think it will help me so much.....

someone told me that there is an other program on the 330's step. is it true?? is it faster?

need to speed-up my step...NOW......

PLEASE HELP ME (and the other non-US bimmer)

(and do not tell me to buy a manual......)

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

·
Town Clown
15,001 Posts
Have you considered the Autothority chip/ECU upgrade?

·
Sofa-king-what
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've just taked a look to their site....

nothing for the steptronic....only engine software....

..I forgot..... if you take a look to my sig, you'll understand that i'm in italy....... so i can't give them my ecu to download a program on it... i need a chip to install on my ecu by my dealer......

easy...........:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

(use the brain guys.........show me how to do that..)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It's pretty much useless imo. Dinan says it improves 1/4 mile time by about 0.03 seconds, which is basically nothing. Even if other tuners made it, expect about the same gains (i.e. still nothing).

If you want to improve acceleration, I recommend the GruppeM intake (www.renn-sport.net) & the UUC TSE (www.uucmotorwerks.com)

·
Registered
442 Posts
the steptronic transmission has a computer control box all of its own, so putting in a physical chip is not possible, the tranny computer talks to the DME so both need to be sinked with each other. this is a problem I'm having right now becouse the DME has been replaced twice:yikes: due to unknown reasons and BMW thinks that when they replaced it they didn't correctly get the COM link right so every now and then the DME doesn't know the gear it is in and go's nuts:mad: :banghead:

My resolve is to replace the idiodic trans with a real tranny -manual-:D as soon as the warrenty is up....

you can replace the torque convertor for a higher stall one if and only if you have done engine mods, that way the trans and engine are matched. however the tranny might be to sensitive to this and throw fault codes causing more problems and since GM won't release any info on what would happen or if it will work I say screw 'm and get a manual.

·
'a certain moderator'
35,564 Posts
u could do the SMG steering wheel retrofit, makes the car feel like its shifting faster, because the throws are so short on the paddles... u could also switch the "+" and "-" on your current steptronic, its only switching 2 wires.

just thinking of other things u can do to make the step more fun (other than swapping it out for a 5speed :D )

-brendan

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
There's really not much to modify in the Steptronic. It's already smart enough to shift more firmly when it detects spirited driving. If you said "and do not tell me to buy a manual" b/c you cannot forgo the convenience, then you might want to consider an SMG tranny swap.

·
Sofa-king-what
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

my previous car were a 95 320i cab (manual)
and a Superbe 98 m3 3200 cabrio Smg....(love love love)

..... i get the 328 W/step not for the automatic function, but for the seq. shifting.... but the difference between this and the Smg is huge.....may be too much....

what i want to reduce now is the "lag" from every gear.... you know losing,every time,1500-2000 rpms is too much....and the auto-upshift is boring :banghead:
i'm not really interested in performance upgrade (for the moment),i'm looking for more fun first,then i will improve the fun with hp......

i'm not intended to put any other(great&expensive) mod before the shifting question is solved.....

I preferr saving money for the next car,that will be for sure an M3,or at least a 330ci cab. (both smg or manual)....

thnx for the moment.... keep me informed on news......

(i'll buy both ECU if someone wants to sell them....:flipoff: )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts