BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You never see BMW's advertised for sale with over or close to 100K miles like you see other brands. This leads me to believe one of 3 things is happening......

1. Dealers are clocking back tradeins......
2. Market value is nil and cars are auctioned off for parts, donated,etc.
3. Cars are not lasting, and repair bills outweigh actual value and people are junking them.........

What do u think?

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,309 Posts
All the bimmers we have owned have gone over 100K :thumbup:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd say none of the above and I'd go w/:

4. when someone hits 100k miles on their car no matter what car it is a Dealership is going to give u minimal if any money for it thus the person probably sold it privately

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Close

Well, I just picked up my 2000 loaded 328i with 90K miles on it, so I've got 10K to go til I'm at 100K. I'm convinced that I have the highest mileage 2000 328i in the country (along with probably the cheapest purchase price too, hehe). All highway from previous owner and not a squeak or problem at all. Rides like brand new! Gotta love it, especially for what I paid. I'm just starting with this car. I hope it doesnt see too many repairs/problems in the future, but you take that chance with a 40K mile car. Besides I'm still ahead $ wise so I have some room to spend $ on repairs if needed, plus I have all you guys to help me with repairs!

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,309 Posts
My dads 535i had 100k miles in less then 2 years :yikes:

This was one of the best cars I think BMW ever made, my dad got his in the beginning of September 1985 and the '86 had just come out he got his black on black with a 5-spd. Two weeks later my mom rolled home in a 535i Midnight Blue on Sand interior with a 5 spd. Damn those cars were great, my moms had 140k miles on it until she got rid of it. Oh by the way neither had a single non scheduled maintence done to them. Wish BMW was still that reliable. :sad:

Haah and they both had the integrated phone that my dad decided to order god those things were almost as big as the car :lmao:

·
Registered
141 Posts
my neighbor has 140000 on his e36....only thing he's replaced is the water pump. he bought the car brand new.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
E46Fanatic
3,121 Posts
perhaps they send them overseas for a different market. when my dad turned in his Audi A6, the saleman there was telling him that the US is becoming so overpopulated w/ high end luxury vehicles b/c of short term leasing, that they ship many of their returns overseas where there is more of a market for purchasing these cars. there is not as much of a market for these cars used.

·
'a certain moderator'
36,818 Posts
i remember posts in the past where 323 owners were getting mail from BMWNA, giving them a "special deal" if they want to trade in their BMW for a new one, because the old ones are highly demanded overseas, and in South America especially

-brendan

·
Registered
953 Posts
Option #5

I think maybe there is an option #5

The owners just run them until the end because they love the car so much. Or they get a new one and keep the old one as a toy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No way

simsima325 said:
i remember posts in the past where 323 owners were getting mail from BMWNA, giving them a "special deal" if they want to trade in their BMW for a new one, because the old ones are highly demanded overseas, and in South America especially

-brendan

THat cant be true... Cars sold overseas are built to different specs then cars in the states. So bringing a new car back lets say from Europe is way too expensive, Im positive its the same if your shipping a car from the US. I know this from experience.

·
The De46vil's Army
16,285 Posts
they also recycle their own cars, brakelight and turn signal plastic will someday return as dash plastic, etc...

·
Banned
578 Posts
i had 76 k on my 323 in 25 montyhs when i sold it

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check out autotrader.com. There were PLENTY of E36's with well over 100k when I was looking for a car.

*** the coupe pictured above is NOT my car, only something to laugh at ***
Thank God... that wing is terrible.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Re: No way

sybersam141 said:

THat cant be true... Cars sold overseas are built to different specs then cars in the states. So bringing a new car back lets say from Europe is way too expensive, Im positive its the same if your shipping a car from the US. I know this from experience.

Living in Miami I know that a lot of used US cars are exported to South America where they are sold as reconditioned cars. ....It is a real market. I had a Honda Accord with 106,000 miles sent by my dealer to S.America when i traded it in. Th prices of the brand new cars at too high in those countries...especially with local taxes.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Re: Close

ScottV said:
Well, I just picked up my 2000 loaded 328i with 90K miles on it, so I've got 10K to go til I'm at 100K. I'm convinced that I have the highest mileage 2000 328i in the country (along with probably the cheapest purchase price too, hehe). All highway from previous owner and not a squeak or problem at all. Rides like brand new! Gotta love it, especially for what I paid. I'm just starting with this car. I hope it doesnt see too many repairs/problems in the future, but you take that chance with a 40K mile car. Besides I'm still ahead $ wise so I have some room to spend $ on repairs if needed, plus I have all you guys to help me with repairs!
Well... what did you pay?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
i had a friend w/ a 1985 E30 bimmer. bought it used & in untouched condition. the speedo was broke 2 years before he got it & it was showing like 235k or something crazy. so i'm sure it's near 275k i would imagine. we live in pittsburgh he picke dit up off ebay in oklahoma & drove it HOME!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts