BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine suggested that my car would look good with my style 44s painted white. I was wondering if anyone could give me some opinions on that and perhaps photoshop the wheels to be white. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
They might look nice, but style 44's seem too plain overall to look good white, black, or any other color.

You can plastidip your wheels white, it's 100% reversible if you don't like it, costs like $5 for a can, and is extremely forgiving to use unlike spraypaint. I recommend you do that :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
please do not paint them white. Please

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It's tough enough keeping silver wheels looking clean - I can't imagine trying to keep white ones clean

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
It's a pretty good idea if you want to want people to mistake your car for a Honda at first glance. With that being said I'm pretty sure they make white plasti dip.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Why are people so against colored rims? Now on regular car I could understand, but on a vehicle that has a sporty/racing look, I think they can look nice and stand out.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Why are people so against colored rims? Now on regular car I could understand, but on a vehicle that has a sporty/racing look, I think they can look nice and stand out.
Style 44s, sporty looking? No.
I would understand if it were the wheels with thinner spokes.
Style 44 spokes are too wide to pull off the white color. And to add, there is no lip on the style 44s, it would just look ugly on any other color than factory aluminum.
OP, you will have a tough time cleaning the brake dust and it will look very ugly in no time.
Trust me, I have ceramic pads and still get brake dust.

PS: I have the same color car/wheel combo as OP on mine. Mine is just a coupe and lowered.
I cant imagine my car with white style 44s. I dont have mods to back the white wheels up although I am lowered on the coils with widened stance(10mm front 15mm rear).
I will have to add crazy camber, roof racks and stickers to back up my white wheels. Roof rack I need though, tired of having to remove the wheel and fold the rear seats to carry my bike.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Style 44s, sporty looking? No.
I would understand if it were the wheels with thinner spokes.
Style 44 spokes are too wide to pull off the white color. And to add, there is no lip on the style 44s, it would just look ugly on any other color than factory aluminum.
OP, you will have a tough time cleaning the brake dust and it will look very ugly in no time.
Trust me, I have ceramic pads and still get brake dust.

PS: I have the same color car/wheel combo as OP on mine. Mine is just a coupe and lowered.
I cant imagine my car with white style 44s. I dont have mods to back the white wheels up although I am lowered on the coils with widened stance(10mm front 15mm rear).
I will have to add crazy camber, roof racks and stickers to back up my white wheels. Roof rack I need though, tired of having to remove the wheel and fold the rear seats to carry my bike.
I was talking about colored rims in general. Yes, I do agree painting style 44's any color would just be ugly. e46 sedans aren't the sportiest but the zhp is very sporty and they have them in sedans.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I am at a loss for words anymore on here. The group of true BMW enthusiasts is becoming smaller and smaller in the E46 world. With the exception of a Lamborghini, Porsche 911 GT RS, and a few other real sports cars, painted wheels don't look good. An E46 is not the kind of car that can pull off painted wheels. I would have to say that the friends you have that are telling you they would look good are not driving BMWs and probably would love to see you cheapen the look of your car. I love the look of the style 44s. I've had them on my last 2 E46s and they look great. Leave the wheels as they are and find something else to spend your hard earned cash on. There are plenty of things on a 10+ year old BMW that need replaced so you should spend your cash improving something that will actually benefit the well being of your beautiful car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
:D
7,796 Posts
White is the presence of all colors. So just paint then rainbow and they'll turn a nice white. That's what pros do

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I was talking about colored rims in general. Yes, I do agree painting style 44's any color would just be ugly. e46 sedans aren't the sportiest but the zhp is very sporty and they have them in sedans.
ZHPs are just the sportier version of e46 family(exclude M3) but no where near a car that would look as built for racing.
zhp's come with mtech II package with lowered suspension and larger wheels, black trim.
Cant compare it with standard 323, does it look sporty at all now?
Thats why I said, without the supporting mods(aggressive front and rear bumper, side skirts and lowered suspension) painting wheels white would look dumb.
If OP is hanging out with stance crowd, pretty soon we will see extra large stickers on the car, because the friends said it will look good on the car.
Dont do it OP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ZHPs are just the sportier version of e46 family(exclude M3) but no where near a car that would look as built for racing.
zhp's come with mtech II package with lowered suspension and larger wheels, black trim.
Cant compare it with standard 323, does it look sporty at all now?
Thats why I said, without the supporting mods(aggressive front and rear bumper, side skirts and lowered suspension) painting wheels white would look dumb.
If OP is hanging out with stance crowd, pretty soon we will see extra large stickers on the car, because the friends said it will look good on the car.
Dont do it OP.
Haha nah one of my friends (adb1028 here on the forum) drives an 03 zhp and a 135i, and the one who suggested it drives an Infiniti g37s. But no, I will not be changing the color of the wheels. I was just curious to see how it would look.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I am at a loss for words anymore on here. The group of true BMW enthusiasts is becoming smaller and smaller in the E46 world. With the exception of a Lamborghini, Porsche 911 GT RS, and a few other real sports cars, painted wheels don't look good. An E46 is not the kind of car that can pull off painted wheels. I would have to say that the friends you have that are telling you they would look good are not driving BMWs and probably would love to see you cheapen the look of your car. I love the look of the style 44s. I've had them on my last 2 E46s and they look great. Leave the wheels as they are and find something else to spend your hard earned cash on. There are plenty of things on a 10+ year old BMW that need replaced so you should spend your cash improving something that will actually benefit the well being of your beautiful car.

You don't need a car worth $100k + to make colored rims look good. But I do agree style 44's need to stay stock color. There is nothing sporty at all about that style.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
You don't need a car worth $100k + to make colored rims look good. But I do agree style 44's need to stay stock color. There is nothing sporty at all about that style.
I wouldn't go as far as saying that they aren't sporty looking. Obviously they are because BMW put them on their sport package cars. I could have any wheel I want on my E46 and I went with style 44s because they have a nice mix of sport and class. I just wouldn't say that they aren't sporty at all. I think they make the car look pretty good.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1373487516.400826.jpg

·
Registered
754 Posts
Im a big fan of stock style 44 wheels....I miss mine. When I see stock or cheap aftermarket wheels painted or powder coated wheels on a car, I just think there goes someone who was bored out of their mind and bought some spray paint with the only money they had.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts