BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
I also have this issue. I'm thinking of doing a 2nd resonator delete as well and installing an x-pipe in its place to see if this will remedy the issue

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Probably a hole in your intake boot. Though since you have the muffler delete it could be related to that. I have a whistling at certain RPM and it is my intake boot.

·
:D
7,725 Posts
+1 on the ripped intake boot

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
I'm glad its a cheap fix. :thumbsup:
The hole will be noticeable?
very noticable:

$17 for the boot at the dealership and it is a 20 minute diy.
If you have big hairy paws like me then get a small slender
6mm open hex wrench to reach the little nut...it will make
the job go much quicker.

·
:D
7,725 Posts
I can't tell from that pic but is that the lower one? It has a accordion tube coming out of the side that commonly rips. You'll need to look for rips around the accordion style bends more than actual holes in it. And also check your upper intake boot. Mine was torn where the brake booster line goes in. I'm almost positive it's a vacuum leak. I just can't be sure where it is

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh really? I was pulling on it, it didn't seem to have holes. And yes its the lower boot, right before the throttle body. The pic is trying to depict that there are no holes. And I highly doubt something as little as this diy, can cause such a loud whistling noise. I believe its a vacuum leak as well, just don't know where from.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts