BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is auto (if it helps, I would rather be driving a manual but I'm stuck with auto :tsk:) but to be more specific, it's Steptronic. As I'm accelerating and my car reaches about 6,000+ rpms, it makes a loud whistling sound that's easily heard from my friend while he's driving his E46. Also, when I rev my car and the rpms reach about 6,000+ it makes the same whistling sound. My friend stood both behind and in front of my car, while parked, as I revved my car and we both agreed that it was coming from the exhaust and not the engine. Any advice on what it could be and what I should do? :help:

P.S. It only reaches 6,000+ when I drive fast :4ngie: and I'm not always driving fast so it's not a HUGE issue but I would like to get it fixed. If requested, I will take a video of my car revving and doing a flyby to give you guys a better idea of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My car does the same thing, i have it for a year and i think is kind of cool, it has been like that since i bought it, mine is manual and it does it in every gear when i hit high rpm.

IS THAT A BAD THING?

·
Registered
82 Posts
i have an old ford ranger pickup that had that same problem, started a couple of weeks ago, i had someone look at it---they said there was a pinhole in the muffler.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car does the same thing, i have it for a year and i think is kind of cool, it has been like that since i bought it, mine is manual and it does it in every gear when i hit high rpm.

IS THAT A BAD THING?
Yeah, mine does it in every gear as well. If you like it, lucky you. It bothers me and I wish it didn't make that sound. I have no idea whether it's bad or not. I would think that it is caused from some sort of malfunction :eek:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
It's the air rushing out of your exhaust. When you hit the redline when you revved it I heard the exhaust tip whistle. Maybe your exhaust tips are just the right size that the rushing air passing through resonates creating a whistle. Because it would make a loud hiss sound right before it whistled. Lol it's kinda funny. Mine roars at full rpm now and it doesn't whistle anymore since I changed my belts. Idk. check your belts for any wear or if they are dried out. But for now Say it's your turbo! Try not to floor it and it won't whistle and your car will last longer. I try not to hit the redline. I'll shift a 5,000 during a fast accelerationfor fun and shift at or just before 6,000 rpm without redlining the engine when I race.

·
Registered
209 Posts

IS THAT A BAD THING?
I dig the hell of that sound...Watching his vid down there. Blue 325, ppl install carbon fiber intake kits to get that sound and pay hundreds of dollors, but if you hate it, then you hate it.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
The sound starts at about 5k RPM and you can hear it only when revving up from about 5k to 6k, right? I heard a few little squeaks in there but just wanted to make sure. I think I heard birds chirping in the background or something--is it just me that notices that?

·
Registered
288 Posts
My manual 328Ci whistles in every gear too. I've heard it's perfectly normal for E46's to do that. I believe it's just the stock intake box that makes the sound. I know I freaking love it though! In my car it kicks in at exactly 4500 RPM's and lasts until redline. It scares the bejesus out of opponents and it definitely gets attention. I also find it hilarious when dudes yell at me and say "YOU DIDN'T TELL ME YOU HAD A F'N BLOWER" after we race! :lmao: I really love it, and believe it or not, I'm actually going to miss it a lot when I get my M3..

·
Registered
209 Posts
ok guys...I never knew my car whistles....Had my brother tape me going up and down the road to see the visibility of my halos, Reviewing the vid I heard this whistling noise, sounds like a bov at low boost hehe...I couldn't hear it in the car, never heard it actually so I had him tape me again and there is a sound...it seems like its coming from the exhaust? not from the intake.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
hmm my car sounds sorta like that when you get past 100k it sounds like a turbo spooling up

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Mine doesnt do that. It doesnt sound liek its a big deal actually. Sounds like a BOV or a DV actually.

·
Premium Member
20,930 Posts
my 328i started doing the same thing about a year ago... its got a ECIS intake and Shark injection, but it never did it before. I cant remember what i did, but i was doign some minor PM to it i think maybe filter cleaning or something and i noticed it later that day and i havent been able to find the source or get rid of it.

But it sounds cool, people at work ask me if my car is boosted :rofl:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts