BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 32i manual (facelift model).

I recently purchased the car for an absolute steal! Obviously with it being 16yrs old it will need some TLC.

I have noticed a sort of ‘whining’ noise when the car is revved in neutral which is consistent to the revs of the car. I can’t tell if the noise is there when driving as the road noise could be drowning the sound out.

I looked online and saw a few posts on possible belt tensioner? But also saw it could be a few other things. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so what would you recommend?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
My car makes the noise with the ac on sometimes, and it is rpm dependent. Was your AC on in the video?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The AC was off. I checked that myself as my old Megane did it when I had the AC on!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Try this out:
Open your hood, stick your phone out the window and Rev the car so I can hear it better.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Okay I can hear it but it sounded louder in the inside. Check your oil level and power steering fluid level. For the next video, can you take a video of the two middle vents as you rev the engine so I can try to hear if it's the blower motor

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
It can definitely be heard on the outside. How determined are you? Do you want to take off your belt and spin your pulleys? Or do a smoke test to see if you have vacuum leaks. They can cause weird noises. Also, I suggest making this thread in the general forum to get more exposure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m not mechanically inclined, I can do the odd bits and pieces but I worry that if I take the belt off etc I won’t be able to put it back on or possibly get it wrong and ruin the car!

How do I post on the general forum? I’m new to this haha!

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
I’m not mechanically inclined, I can do the odd bits and pieces but I worry that if I take the belt off etc I won’t be able to put it back on or possibly get it wrong and ruin the car!

How do I post on the general forum? I’m new to this haha!

forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4 "start a new topic" at the top

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts