BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 323i has started to develop this annoying problem. When cold, the car will make what sounds like a mechanical whine between 2k-3k range. It could go above 3k but I don't like to rev that high when cold. It used to be only when the car was cold and in 4th gear. now it's all gears outside of R/1 when cold. The sound seems to be coming from behind the dash area. Probably in the engine bay but I can definitely hear it from behind the dash.

I've read about the fake super charger sound. I should check for that, but things don't line up exactly right for it. It definitely sounds more like a mechanical whine than an air leak.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll do that when I get home today. I doubt it's belts. It doesn't sound like a squeal. It's definitely a whine like metal not getting lubricated. I thought my tranny was low on fluid but then the sound wouldn't be coming from behind the dash.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lower intake boot looks fine to me. The upper one has a slight tear where the brake booster hose meets it but it isn't cutting all the way through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts