E46 Fanatics Forum banner

While I'm Down There

669 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Nicholas330i 
#1 ·
Automotive tire White Light Product Black

I'm chasing an oil leak, that I believe to be the OFHG. See attached picture.

If I'm going to have the fan out along with the airbox, I figured I might as well do some maintenance. My laundry list so far includes belts and pulleys, coolant hose that goes to the engine, power steering reservoir and power steering hoses. Does anyone have any insight on other items that I should address while I have everything torn apart?

See less See more
#2 ·
What year is your car? How many miles on the clock? If it’s more than 125k miles you should consider replacing the alternator’s voltage regulator. The regulator’s brushes wear down and end up making lousy contact with the rotor. Now, be advised that BMW sourced alternators from Bosch and from Valeo. They are not interchangeable without some work. The only way to tell which alternator is in the car is read the label on the back of the alternator. Hopefully it sez Bosch. A Bosch voltage regulator is less than $50 at FCPEuro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.