BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are 3 choices
Top, middle, bottom.

The middle vents (radio, etc) are the strongest for you?
The floor vents and windshield vents seem weaker.

Do you keep all 3 on, or just the middle ?

Does only using the center vent make it blow stronger

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Middle all the way!! Only feet when it's wet outside to dry things out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Middle and feet for me...mostly middle, gets really hot I then add the feet with no outside air!

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does only using the center vent make it blow stronger?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does only using the center vent make it blow stronger?
From my experience (as indicated previously) when vented to the windshield the strongest comes about...although I noticed just today while the setting was on auto and it was probably 95° out the air came on full blast and it was pretty strong! But the system was set on auto from the turn of the ignition.
Ah! I think I see your concern...
Trick: remember the air is spread out from the center through to the passenger vents. Keep in mind I am the only person that uses the car...the passenger vents are closed on my car...result all the air is focused on me the driver.
Now of course when I have a passenger I'll then open all the vents .

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Center and floor for A/C. I sometimes close the outboard passenger side vent to push more volume through the open center and floor vents.

I've got a warm air leak on the defrost/windscreen vents. Even with defrost deselected on the HVAC control, warm air still comes out but the volume is not enough to significantly heat the cabin.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
From my experience (as indicated previously) when vented to the windshield the strongest comes about...although I noticed just today while the setting was on auto and it was probably 95° out the air came on full blast and it was pretty strong! But the system was set on auto from the turn of the ignition.
Ah! I think I see your concern...
Trick: remember the air is spread out from the center through to the passenger vents. Keep in mind I am the only person that uses the car...the passenger vents are closed on my car...result all the air is focused on me the driver.
Now of course when I have a passenger I'll then open all the vents .

I usually charge to allow the passenger to bask in my e46 ac

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,956 Posts
As a generality when asking for A/C to cool you off on a hot day ASAP You choose the floor and vents setting.
Turn the stratification layer wheel (in the middle of the middle vent) to full cold.
Hit the re-circulation button twice. No sense in trying to drop the humidity/temperature of the outside air and extra 20°F when the air inside the car starts to get cooler/drier.
FWIW I mostly run with the re circulation button manually activated most of the time. Makes the A/C system work slightly less hard. Also means less water (humidity extraction) in the HVAC plenum.
I laugh when I go to Florida in the middle of summer. At each and every light there's a gigantic puddle under every car from all of the moisture being removed.

Then as YOU start to cool off one can now make some adjustments to redistribute the cool air throughout the cabin to maintain comfort.

I so miss the old school cars with manual sliders.
On a hot & rainy day I could:
Just a tad onto the windshield.
A lot in the middle.
About half open to my feet.

What level of cool/hot I want and where I want it and how much dammit. There's something to be said for letting me make choices and not what the Mfr thinks is best for me. I'm not a child and possess a modicum of intelligence.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
As a generality when asking for A/C to cool you off on a hot day ASAP You choose the floor and vents setting.
Turn the stratification layer wheel (in the middle of the middle vent) to full cold.
Hit the re-circulation button twice. No sense in trying to drop the humidity/temperature of the outside air and extra 20°F when the air inside the car starts to get cooler/drier.
FWIW I mostly run with the re circulation button manually activated most of the time. Makes the A/C system work slightly less hard. Also means less water (humidity extraction) in the HVAC plenum.
I laugh when I go to Florida in the middle of summer. At each and every light there's a gigantic puddle under every car from all of the moisture being removed.

Then as YOU start to cool off one can now make some adjustments to redistribute the cool air throughout the cabin to maintain comfort.

I so miss the old school cars with manual sliders.
On a hot & rainy day I could:
Just a tad onto the windshield.
A lot in the middle.
About half open to my feet.

What level of cool/hot I want and where I want it and how much dammit. There's something to be said for letting me make choices and not what the Mfr thinks is best for me. I'm not a child and possess a modicum of intelligence.
So right MrMCar, I miss being able to mix my HVAC system the way I want it to be. If we're speaking about old school things that have gone that I wish still existed, let's not forget the floor button activated high beams! I remember driving my dads 1978 F-250 and loving that button down there.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny, I LOVE not dicking around with sliders and knobs.
I just leave my auto temp at 72, and never touch anything.
Brilliant. Set it and forget it.

·
:D
7,842 Posts
auto, and i let it do it's thing 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
155 Posts
auto, and i let it do it's thing
Here, here...same here...it took me to read the explanation of how the auto climate control works and a few explanations from guys here, to really appreciate the bmw system.
A true work of art! Single to double function depending on what model car.
Basically (with the turning of the wheel) you can have a... cold 70° a hot 70° or a
warm 70° for example. And the system will maintain that temp constantly.
BTW no matter what, your going to have that puddle of condensation beneath the car no matter what.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I wish they would have put as much knowledge into the evaporator as they did the control system.

I have a pinhole leak since I've owned the car. Need about 4-6 oz of freon once a year. Annoying, but not worth ripping the dash apart.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny I've owned my e46 for over 3 years and never once have used the auto setting. I guess I'm a control freak.

How do you NOT use it? There is a number on the dash. It maintains that temperature.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
How do you NOT use it? There is a number on the dash. It maintains that temperature.
I can't answer that logically I guess lol. Just my preference. I'm also pretty OCD about listening to my car and almost every drive, I'm listening to the engine, trans, suspension, everything, instead of the blower fan being on max. Once I'm confident the car has gone through my listening checks, I manually adjust my fan speed. I'm like an airline pilot with a 101 point check lol. Stupid? Maybe? But with an aging German mobile, vigilance is the price of driving freedom.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can't answer that logically I guess lol. Just my preference. I'm also pretty OCD about listening to my car and almost every drive, I'm listening to the engine, trans, suspension, everything, instead of the blower fan being on max. Once I'm confident the car has gone through my listening checks, I manually adjust my fan speed. I'm like an airline pilot with a 101 point check lol. Stupid? Maybe? But with an aging German mobile, vigilance is the price of driving freedom.

For a year or so I worked at getting my 06 X3 fitted for auto dim....(Car is not wired for the feature) a poster says to me "can't you be satisfied with reaching up and turning the clown nose" (a feature that i appreciate greatly) my reply..."its a BMW, not a 72 gremlin". BTW I'm keeping that oldschool rearview mirror I think it's great! Didn't know it existed.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
For a year or so I worked at getting my 06 X3 fitted for auto dim....(Car is not wired for the feature) a poster says to me "can't you be satisfied with reaching up and turning the clown nose" (a feature that i appreciate greatly) my reply..."its a BMW, not a 72 gremlin". BTW I'm keeping that oldschool rearview mirror I think it's great! Didn't know it existed.
Cheers!

LOL I have a manual rear view in my parts bin for the occasion that my compass rear view s the bed. Always welcome the simpler things in life.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts