Which tune would you get?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing catless headers this weekend and would like to hear your guys' opinion on which tune I should go with, an Active Autowerke tune or an RK Tunes tune or if there are any other reputable tunes I could get my hands on that would best take advantage of the new catless headers.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,415 Posts
The updated stock dme software actually makes a big difference in drivability and response, try that first before going aftermarket, which wont really do much anyways from what I understand.

For the catless headers, I believe you can update to the Euro dme software for your engine to keep the warning light you might have with the post-cat O2 sensors complaining about the lack of cats.

Click on the "How to Install BMW Standard Tools" link in BaliDawg's signature above for how to setup the software on your laptop. All you need is a $20 to $30 k+dcan cable off of ebay/amazon and you'll be good to go. The "Need a DME or EGS update?" link in BaliDawg's signature walks you through the process of reflashing the DME.

It's not hard ... I am not a computer guy by any means but was able to get it done.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would first update the DME to the latest stock software and see how you like it.
Tunes don’t do a whole lot for what you pay, unless it’s targeting a very specific scenario.

There’s always the roll-your-own.
I did take my E46 to get the DME updated a year ago but I'm not aware to what version it was updated to.
I understand where you're coming from but wont I still need a tune for the car to actually make use of the headers and also ignore the post cat sensors (I wont be putting them back in).

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The updated stock dme software actually makes a big difference in drivability and response, try that first before going aftermarket, which wont really do much anyways from what I understand.

For the catless headers, I believe you can update to the Euro dme software for your engine to keep the warning light you might have with the post-cat O2 sensors complaining about the lack of cats.

Click on the "How to Install BMW Standard Tools" link in BaliDawg's signature above for how to setup the software on your laptop. All you need is a $20 to $30 k+dcan cable off of ebay/amazon and you'll be good to go. The "Need a DME or EGS update?" link in BaliDawg's signature walks you through the process of reflashing the DME.

It's not hard ... I am not a computer guy by any means but was able to get it done.
Yeah I'll have to check what version I have right now as I might already be on the current version but from what I hear both those companies make changes to the A/F maps and they make the engine take full advantage of any mods such as headers, cams, etc.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,415 Posts
Yeah I'll have to check what version I have right now as I might already be on the current version but from what I hear both those companies make changes to the A/F maps and they make the engine take full advantage of any mods such as headers, cams, etc.
Get setup with BMW Standard Tools (INPA, winkfp and ncsexpert) on your laptop and you will know what is going on with your car without needing to take it somewhere.

Fwiw, my understanding is that unless you go forced induction, there isn't much that the aftermarket tunes, or mods for that matter, accomplish.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,508 Posts
I did take my E46 to get the DME updated a year ago but I'm not aware to what version it was updated to.
I understand where you're coming from but wont I still need a tune for the car to actually make use of the headers and also ignore the post cat sensors (I wont be putting them back in).
You can easily check the current DME version using INPA. Hit the DME Update link below for how to.
A stock EU2 flash removes SAP and post-cat O2 sensor support.
If you want custom tuning then go for it.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get setup with BMW Standard Tools (INPA, winkfp and ncsexpert) on your laptop and you will know what is going on with your car without needing to take it somewhere.

Fwiw, my understanding is that unless you go forced induction, there isn't much that the aftermarket tunes, or mods for that matter, accomplish.
Yeah my laptop battery is completely fried so I'm buying a new battery for it and then I'll get that software loaded on there and I'll try to check what version I have and if I need to update it.
I actually got the idea partly from kpeng in his headers thread and then I saw all the info such as actual power bumps, support for cams and few other goodies. I thought well if I can get the tune itself then I could probably find out how to install it myself and later on if I do get those other mods that it supports then I can also reflash it again to run with the new mods accordingly.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can easily check the current DME version using INPA. Hit the DME Update link below for how to.
A stock EU2 flash removes SAP and post-cat O2 sensor support.
If you want custom tuning then go for it.
Gotcha, I'll download INPA and let you know what version I have.
Honestly this is what gets me
Its pricey but it's a custom performance tune and although it's not an enormous jump in power I'm willing to spend that amount to have a proven tune on top of my updated DME.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,415 Posts
Yeah my laptop battery is completely fried so I'm buying a new battery for it and then I'll get that software loaded on there and I'll try to check what version I have and if I need to update it.
I actually got the idea partly from kpeng in his headers thread and then I saw all the info such as actual power bumps, support for cams and few other goodies. I thought well if I can get the tune itself then I could probably find out how to install it myself and later on if I do get those other mods that it supports then I can also reflash it again to run with the new mods accordingly.
Hey go for it ... me having an only auto slushbox I don't pay much attention to the aftermarket tunes. The AAworke's link you mentioned sounds like its tailored for ms45.1 so might be worth it. Maybe others who have gone that route can chime in.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey go for it ... me having an only auto slushbox I don't pay much attention to the aftermarket tunes. The AAworke's link you mentioned sounds like its tailored for ms45.1 so might be worth it. Maybe others who have gone that route can chime in.
I'm really trying to build my E46 and squeeze every single bit of power I can out of it since nowadays a well maintained 325ci can dust just a regular run of the mill 330ci so that's why when it comes down to the small details, if I can possibly get a few more horsepower here and there then I'll take them.
Also, I've seen that RK tunes is becoming ever increasingly popular as they even claim 15-20 whp not just crank.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Kassel Performance?

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kassel Performance?
From what I read they dont just tune your DME they need another DME to clone yours too and then they can tune that cloned one and send it back.

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I were you, I’d look to find a reputable dyno tuner and spend a few hours and see the gains first hand.
No dedicated or experienced tuners for E46's around here that I can trust, one of many Canada's faults..

·
Registered
2005 E46 325ci
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can also send yours in, or drive there (as I did) and have it done. There's a dyno as well.
I wish they could send me the tune and I could just upload it myself as I live in Canada and this my daily so sending it out or driving there unfortunately wouldn't really work.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts