BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a '02 325i and I'm about to replace the struts. However, I'm having trouble determining which struts I should buy. Based on what I've read on other threads I believe I have the sports package, and, therefore, the sports suspension; my car has the three-spoke steering wheel, sport seats with extendable leg supports, 17" factory alloys. This points toward the sports suspension, right? I called the dealership's parts department and asked them to confirm this by looking up the VIN. The guy said that my car left the factory with a normal suspension. Is it possible he overlooked something? Is there a way I can tell for sure by looking at the current strut? I'm afraid of mismatching the struts and springs. I would greatly appreciate any advice you can provide. Thanks!

ps. What's the best way to determine the appropriate Bilstein Strut part #?

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Look at the struts and get the part numbers off them. Go to realoem.com and it will tell you straight away which you have.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Go to bmwvin .com and register an account. Type in last 7 to vin may need to translate page to english

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to bmwvin .com and register an account. Type in last 7 to vin may need to translate page to english
That did the trick! bmwvin .com confirmed I have the sports package (S226A). I don't know why the guy from the dealership said otherwise. Anyway, this is in line with my expectations given the steering wheel, seats, and rims, so I'm feeling a lot more confident about it now. Thanks a lot for the pointer!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
As cheap as springs are, they should be changed on the bmw. The rear in particular are notorious for cracking.
Otherwise you'll have labour to pay for plus eventual springs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts