E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, which stainless steel brake lines have people had the most success with in terms of fitment, quality, wear, etc. I'll be fitting a set to my M3 in a few months. There's not a lot of discussion on the forums that answers this question directly.

UUC? Stoptech? Turner? Bimmerworld? ECS?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I haven't heard of failures of any of these, so I'm guessing they are all pretty close in quality.

When I looked the differences I noticed where

1) Some don't have the same grommets/mounting h/w
2) Some have protective coatings

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
i liked UUC, i have it on my car, just make sure that the hose ends are drilled through before you put them on and try and bleed your brakes.

but it's doing the job well, really well and they look good.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i liked UUC, i have it on my car, just make sure that the hose ends are drilled through before you put them on and try and bleed your brakes.

but it's doing the job well, really well and they look good.
What do you mean by "make sure the hose ends are drilled through." ??

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
i dunno what happened, maybe a RARE bad batch, but the ends were sealed on the inside. had to attach it to a press and drill it through, remove all shavings and then installed.

well, did that for my car, and another car i was working on. it wasn't a big deal so we didn't talk to UUC about it. im just letting you know about them just incase so that you dont have to remove them again to drill it.

this could go for any lines, check to see if they are open and free of defects before installing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know about the UUC lines...keep the reviews coming.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any fitment issues with Turner or Bimmerworld?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I used Turner.

Friends don't let friends buy anything from UUC.
??

I ran one of their lightweight flywheels for years and was totally happy with it.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have the stoptech ones. Everything I expected.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Stoptechs, not sure if all brands are dot compliant..

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am more than happy with my Stoptech's with the rubber shielding to prevent road rash damage.

I believe they are DOT and TUV certified.

·
Vendor
13,147 Posts
If your looking for an affordable stainless steel brake line setup look no further then our DOT approved brake line kit for your E46 M3!

These stainless steel lines are manufactured in-house by ECS Tuning featuring OEM style hardware and fittings. We also have engineered these lines to the exact same specifications as OEM retaining all stock mounting points and grommets.

ECS Tuning stainless steel brake lines featuring the following:
*OEM style fittings and grommets
*Red vinyl sleeve for protection from the elements
*Includes all related OEM style hardware for an easy installation

OEM style hardware and fittings ensure a trouble free installation while retaining original fitment.

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just for clarification purposes (via Stoptech's Website)

What is the difference between lines that are “DOT compliant” and “DOT approved”?

The United States Department of Transportation (DOT) has established numerous standards for automotive components and subsystems. The regulation for brake hoses happens to be FMVSS106. In this document, anything and everything pertaining to automotive brake hoses has been laid out in gory detail – at least, those things important to the federal government.

If a manufacturer claims their SS lines are “DOT compliant”, it means that their SS lines have passed all FMVSS106 requirements, and they have submitted the test data to the government for official certification. This does not mean they are acceptable for use on your car, but it does mean they pass the government minimum standards.

Another term you may hear in this context is “DOT approved.” However, the DOT is not in the business of actually approving or disproving compliance – they don't typically run any tests on aftermarket components themselves. Under these circumstances, one can only surmise that these manufacturers are trying to state that their lines are actually “DOT compliant”, but it never hurts to ask before you buy.

So, do I need to use only DOT compliant SS lines on my car?

Not necessarily. The DOT requirements must be met in full for official government approval, so even if a SS line passes every performance test but is labeled with the wrong type of tag (or something equally trivial) it would fail certification. While this might mean something to an auto manufacturer or assembly plant, it is meaningless to the performance enthusiast.

All the DOT compliance means is that the lines have passed a minimum set of government standards which may or may not be important to you. Does this mean that DOT compliant lines are the best for your car? Not necessarily, but the certification should indicate that the manufacturer understands the product and is trying to hold itself to a certain standard.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the advice. I purchased the StopTech lines and am very happy with them. The quality of the materials and the overall fit & finish are excellent.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts