E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I bought a 02 325ci last summer with a defective/used pressure hose. The car would drive just fine but at low speeds the steering wheel is very hard to turn (which makes parking very difficult). Now the pump failed (I was expecting it) and I decided it was time to change the pressure hose and the pump. If I understand from what I read, since I am changing both, I can go with the pump I want (lf-20 or lf-30) as long as I get the matching hose. According to realoem.com my car has a lf-30 pump, but I never got to feel how it is since the steering system of my car was defective from the moment I bought it. Now my question is, will a lf-30 make my steering very light compared to the lf-20 ? Is the lf-30 really more sturdy than the lf-20 and less prone to break ? I really love the feel of a hard steering wheel and would be so mad if it became super light and soft. I have also read that the pump doesn't make a difference and that I should worry about the rack. I am not sure about this and any piece of advice would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ok so I bought a 02 325ci last summer with a defective/used pressure hose. The car would drive just fine but at low speeds the steering wheel is very hard to turn (which makes parking very difficult). Now the pump failed (I was expecting it) and I decided it was time to change the pressure hose and the pump. If I understand from what I read, since I am changing both, I can go with the pump I want (lf-20 or lf-30) as long as I get the matching hose. According to realoem.com my car has a lf-30 pump, but I never got to feel how it is since the steering system of my car was defective from the moment I bought it. Now my question is, will a lf-30 make my steering very light compared to the lf-20 ? Is the lf-30 really more sturdy than the lf-20 and less prone to break ? I really love the feel of a hard steering wheel and would be so mad if it became super light and soft. I have also read that the pump doesn't make a difference and that I should worry about the rack. I am not sure about this and any piece of advice would be very appreciated.
they are about the same in feel, the lf30 is a little better in parking lots. It will not be a drastic difference. LF30 is much more reliable as well from what i hear

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are about the same in feel, the lf30 is a little better in parking lots. It will not be a drastic difference. LF30 is much more reliable as well from what i hear
Yes thats what I hear too, but since this is my first e46 and the steering was broken from the beginning I have no idea how lf20 or lf30 feel. I heard that some models with lf30 can give a very loose steering feel. I am wondering if this is due to the lf30 or to the rack. Anyways thanks for sharing your opinion.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stay with whatever your car came with from the factory
Yes thats what I would prefer to do, but at the moment I have to change the pump and the pressure hose which doesn't happen very often (I hope). I could maybe take advantage of the situation and replace my lf30 with lf20, I am just trying to establish if there is a real difference in steering feel between the 2. However I totally agree with you on the fact that we should always replace parts with orignal ones.

·
Registered
12,199 Posts
Try www.realoem.com. Enter the last 7 characters of the car's VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to "Steering." Click on the power steering pump icon. The first part is the correct pump for your car. The Luk20 and Luk30 are not interchangeable with modding the bracket.

The reliability of the pump is determined by several factors. The biggest factor is how frequently you change the fluid and what fluid you use. I use Redline D4ATF. My pump has ~120k miles and runs sweet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.