BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out wether to get a front strut bar from Dinan or the sway bar from Eibach. Which will improve handeling better? Since I have a convertible I know I can't get the rear strut bar from Dinan but what about the rear sway bar from Eibach?

Thanks,
Iaian

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I have a strut on my other M3 and it helped a little around really tight turns. Will the Eibach Sways really make a noticeable difference?

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
i don't know about swaw bars

but i have a m3 and have in the rear. a cross brace it does work
on my car. it keeps the rear in when you make a turn. the thing
is the faster you go around a turn with a cross brace the better it is. also if you have coilovers have your car corner balance. it is like being on rails to. it is like the race cars do. they set up your car with you inside of it and make it as close as possiable to 50 50 balance from back to front and side to side. like the race car
drivers have.

but let me say sways are very good to i say get all three of them when you can. i think it is the way to go. for all out handling
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plan is sways now and either Dinan or Eibach coilovers when they come out. What is a cross brace? Would I get that AND a sway bar in the rear?

·
Resident CF Whore
2,799 Posts
e46m3x2 said:
The plan is sways now and either Dinan or Eibach coilovers when they come out.
Dinan and Eibach are coming out with coilovers for E46?
I never heard of that...
Anyways, sway bars are better.
I got my Eibach sways on order and I guess I'll find out soon.
I'm going to install my coilovers and sways at the same time so the only suspension component I can vouch for is my strut bar.
I felt a bit of a difference, but not enough to really help.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually dinan has coilovers as part of the s2 package. Next question:

Should I get my sways from eibach for $400 shipped or from UUC? How much is UUC?

·
Registered
88 Posts
A front strut brace is close to meaningless. On my M3 on the track it made no difference in tire temperatures with it on and off and several of the race teams I work with don't even bother with them. As many have already said, they are eye candy.

And the post about a rear brace is ignorance at its best. I'm laughing my a** off. A rear brace does absolutely nothing. It is not physically possible because the only thing to mount to on an e46 is the rear shock mounts which have a bushing (or spherical bearing in my case) mounted on the inside whose sole purpose is to keep the shock exactly on a its natural axis and prevent any lateral forces. e46s don't have true coilovers in the rear. The shock is outside of the spring. Thus, there is no possibly to brace the springs. Lastly, there would be no point in bracing the spring mounts because the springs in a trailing arm design do not transfer significant torsional force to the chassis. This happens at the trailing arm, upper and lower control arm mounts.

And while Eibach does not make a coilover, both TC Kline and Ground Control use Eibach springs in their e46 coilover kits.

Lastly, I'll be at the 25 endurance race at Thunderhill next weekend with the BMW financial services sponsored 380 hp Mini Cooper. If any Bay Area or Sacto fanatics want to meet up I can get a few people into the pits and paddocks to meet some the e46 race teams and see the cars.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info, the guys at Eibach said it is the front sway the really helps and not so much the rear. I can't wait for the Eibach coilovers.

·
www.piratecove.org
3,699 Posts
any place good at corner balancing your car on coilovers, or is there a 'recommended place' to get that done?

·
Registered
88 Posts
hook up a with a local race team. They will have portable scales for use at the track (i.e. mobile alignment rack). They cost like $2800.

To use them you just level the scales (they have height adjusters) to compensate for not being on a flat surface. Then, you jack your car up on to the scales or lower it on to the scales. On an e46 you should lower the rear as far as it will go because of the high rear roll center. Then adjust the front ride heights until the FR and RL are very close and the FL and RR are as close as possible in terms of weight. Criss cross match the weights. You should be able to get them within a pound or two of each other. More importantly, while you're on this completely flat surface, set your toe, camber, and caster. Those settings make a much bigger difference than corner weighting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also, rear sways don't help too much on a e46 as mentioned above. Most of the e46 race teams don't even use rear sways except on a handful of tracks. In a big HP car it can hamper rear traction. So, while you can reduce understeer with a rear sway, I think it is the wrong way to solve that problem.

·
Registered
614 Posts
e46m3x2 said:
Actually dinan has coilovers as part of the s2 package. Next question:

Should I get my sways from eibach for $400 shipped or from UUC? How much is UUC?
$400 no way, Call Rennsport, they have a group buy right now and I think the original price is way less than that as well. They are in LA so shipping can't be that much and you could pick up from them maybe since you're in SoCal. Real good people and very flexible.
The UUC ones are $350 plus shipping. The Eibach sways have fixed endlinks versus the UUC adjustable ones and the rear bar in the UUC kit is thicker. Need to decide if that matters for you and what you intend to do.
Bigger sways do make a difference in everyday driving and allow you to really have some fun on on and off ramps or any fast corners. I do that before any other chassis mods, then select your springs/struts/shocks or coilovers based on where you want to be from there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts