BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently took deleivery and i wanted to know whuch gasoline/octane to put in the m3. Since it 's only a 6 cylinder engine, , would it be ok to put 89 or is 93 a necessary.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,857 Posts
Manual says that 91 is the minimum. Your M3 is a high compression motor, you want to run as high an octane as you can get.

Tim

·
Registered
726 Posts
always use Premium! Premium gas is generally about 92 or 93 octane so you should be fine if you go with that.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,245 Posts
if u have to ask, put in diesel :rolleyes:

why would u ever put anything less than premium? i know a lot of dealers will use it as a sales pitch, saying that this thing runs off of reguar gas, but it says right in the manual, no less than 91

higher octane runs cleaner, i have always used it on all of my cars, from the 93 suburban, to the 1990 750, and my E46

·
Registered
666 Posts
That outlaw stuff is a waste of money. If you were to buy regular and then add enough "outlaw" to raise your octane above 91 your cost for the gas plus the outlaw would be higher than just buying premium to begin with.

There is no advantage to increasing your octane above the octane in premium gas. It won't hurt your engine but you're pissing money away.

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,857 Posts
u have a great car.. use nothing but the best..

·
Registered
738 Posts
you bought an M3 man...not a toyota camry(no offense to ne owners, they are great cars), you MUST use premium...please don't mess up the car by not...

·
Registered
405 Posts
i wish that the West Coast had 93 octane. we're stuck with 91 octane. and to get any higher than 91 octane is expensive. and you have to go to certain places to get it. this is poo!

·
Formerly know as phatbimma
1,291 Posts
tnoy66 said:
I'm using RON 98 Shell Optimax here in UK :thumbup: :D

dammed expensive though :sad:
Optimax is where its at I use it all the time when im in the UK, (UK petrol/gas prices are sky high anyways, so not even comparable with the rest of Europe let alone the US)....

Have you ever tried that 100 or 101 RON fuel you can get in the UK )I forget if its 100, 101 or 103....

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you have SUNOCO around, then get the 94 Octance. They are the only ones out there with that.

·
www.piratecove.org
3,748 Posts
93 usually is what i run, unless the 94 at the sunoco's is reasonable...usually around here it is 9 cents more for the one octane level higher...

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,189 Posts
i use 93 oct.

i only use 93 or 94 sunnco gas. try to put highest oct. i can get for my high performance engine.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Bahn Burnah
2,447 Posts
simsima325 said:
if u have to ask, put in diesel :rolleyes:

why would u ever put anything less than premium? i know a lot of dealers will use it as a sales pitch, saying that this thing runs off of reguar gas, but it says right in the manual, no less than 91

higher octane runs cleaner, i have always used it on all of my cars, from the 93 suburban, to the 1990 750, and my E46

Finally the voice of reason! I agree.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts