E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to get your guys feedback on which chip is the best. I know there are numerous ones out there but I am looking for the one with the greatest gain. thanks

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,661 Posts
i would like to know to

but you have to know which chip is the best one .

THAT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY. if you have a bmw under 3 or 4 years
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
1,766 Posts
bmwti said:

DINAN perfomance software isnt a chip, it's a download
Is there a difference between a "chip" and a "download?" I thought that for BMWs, any kind of "chip" is actually a "download" that upgrades your software? :dunno:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think BMW factory tuned the stockers well, little HP to be gained from OBD uploads.

Chips are for older cars like 944T which have KLR and DME box which is under passenger floor. You swap the old with the new Autothority stage II and then shim wastegate or add cold air or whatever the kit comes with. It advances your timing, rev limit, speed governer, etc.

The E46 and C5 vette have OBDII which is next best to Total Engine Management with laptop software like TECII or Haltech or Motronics, that is the future of tuning mod cars with dyno.

OBDII has a port for the shark programmer units which cost $200 It has memory which stores factory original settings before uploading new stage of settings so you can revert back original.

I am more interested in Dinan LSD made by Quaife, they do Shuey's F1 Ferrari LSD so they are good enough for my BMW and Pcar. Quaife lsd for my 944T is 2x $$ the Dinan lsd !!!!!!!!

You will notice an improvement in turbo, but little gain in a na car. 968 chipped, cold air, race exhaust dyno +5rwhp increase while 944T is 20-30rwhp gain :)

The stage III and greater program upload expects the car to have dinan intake, exhaust, cold air, tranny software, high octane etc. to be effective, until then you are stuck at stage I or II on the programmer until some hardware upgrades allow you to use the late stages of the software.

I think BMW factory tuned the stockers well, little HP to be gained from OBD uploads. Money best spent on Dinan hardware mate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am quite pleased with my AA upgrade.

·
Registered
36 Posts
you are pleased ?

Did you feel a difference in the AA upgrade and does it void warranty, Dinan does not void ? Are you pulling harder on your friends or see more redline, better mpg? Please describe what it is that pleased you. Many software upgrades are smoke and mirrors when it come to adding HP. Most upgrades make the throttle more responsive and kill rev limit and governor and most people think that made HP when in fact it did not.

Can you get a G-tech pro number up on the forum so we can see the improvements? I am real skeptical about na cars making big improvements with reprogram only?

Or better yet, run a dyno and show the stock vs mod 330i.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:) stock vs chip 330ci

Max Power Base 198.1 HP @ 6000 RPM
Test 205.0 HP @ 5750 RPM
Change 6.9 HP -250 rpm
Max Torque Base 201.0 ft-lbs @ 3500 RPM
Test 214.4 ft-lbs @ 3500 RPM
Change 13.4 ft-lbs 0 RPM

·
Registered
473 Posts
no shark for the 325 or 330! I doubt it will ever come out. The shark on my 323 give 6 hp and improves my A/F ratios. I have tested it with and without on a dyno.:smokin:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I thought Dinan does not claim a performance increase but just
a higher rev capability.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did feel the difference in the upgrade. I had brought my car there because I live about 5 minutes away from them. I believe that it does void the warranty, but I was told it was pretty unnoticeable unless they search pretty thoroughly. I would post my dyno results but I don't have a scanner. I will try to post some numbers a little later on. I did race my friend with the same car as mine but only has an intake. We only raced to 60 though and by the end, he was behind my rear wheels. So yes, it did make a difference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts