E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Sell the Pristine 330i or the Beater ZHP?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm currently sitting on two beamers. The one I daily drive is an immaculate 2005 330i sport. This one I've had for about a year and has absolutely no problems. Paint is near perfect, interior perfect, and engine and transmission feel strong. Along with that I've added some decent upgrades to suspension and the sound system (After market radio, speakers, sub)
Long story short this is the perfect daily driver and cruiser that I'm confident won't leave me stranded in a while sitting at 178k miles.

My dilemma is that I just recently purchased a 2004 ZHP which is the car I originally wanted before getting the 330i sport. I picked up the ZHP because the price was too good ($2,200) but it definitely has problems. It has 220k miles, the paint, body, and interior are pretty beat up, has a check engine light for secondary air injection (P0411), seems to be lacking in power (feels slower than my 330i), and other small things such as sun roof not working.

I have to sell one of the two.
-Reasons for selling my 330i would be I would get more money than I would selling ZHP and also I kinda want to tackle the ZHP as a project.

On the flip side selling the ZHP could be a quick flip for some profit and the 330i is absolutely perfect that will last year's to come and really no logical reason to sell it 馃ぃ. Part of me is worried that to fix the ZHP could need quite a bit of money invested to make it reliable (I'm almost worried the cat may be clogged with how it's acting) but I would do all the work myself!

Anybody have any opinions on this? Or what's your experience with your ZHP and e46s with higher miles.

Thanks in advance!
Silver is 330i
Metallic is ZHP

Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Car Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Registered
That zhp will need a lot of $ to become mint and you already have a 330 that is in way better shap.
What I'd do if I were you was looking for the price point of the zhp, once running on it's full power (or at least what's left after 220k miles) and see if a profit can be made, with minimal work.

Most maintenance items aren't expensive at all, and just labor intensive (OE bushings, CCV and rubbers, water pump and linkage,...). Have a good running engine, replace what is clearly shot on the driveline but don't dig it more as it might never end up to the level of your 330, even as a zhp.

Some car were beaten up and never really comes back from it.

BTW having your daily as a project because of the lack of $ is clearly no fun (ask me how I know..), and if you want to tackle the zhp as a project I'd clearly advise you to keep the 330 until most major work is done. Scheduling each part replacement because you need the car on this week but not on that week isn't going to get you out of trouble fast enough.

Registered
2006 325ci
Well keeping the 330 seems like a no-brainer, but what the head knows and the heart wants are often two different things...

We don't have the ZHP here in the UK, but i believe there's not really that much that is different (cams, suspensions and few interior / exterior bits), and i'd wager the teeny-tiny performance gain on the zhp would be negated by the mileage and beaten up nature. If you really want a project, as your post suggests, could you not do some improvements to the suspension and interior of the 330 to bring it above and beyond the zhp?

Also second aragro's comment on dailying a project car, it's doable but also quite difficult and a right pain in the arse at times

Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
Keep the NICE car.
Sell the beater for what you can in this over-inflated market...

Registered
SELL THE BEATER. YOU WILL NEVER GET YOUR MONEY OUT OF A HIGH MILEAGE BEATER BY RESTORING IT.

Also, it's much cheaper to buy a nice example ZHP than to worry about repainting and body work...

Super Moderator
Keep the NICE car.
Sell the beater for what you can in this over-inflated market...
I am going with this ....

I am assuming both cars have the same transmission...If one was a manual and the other an auto, that might change things.

"Daily Driver" / "BMW project car" are nearly incompatible terms..If you have a project car you really should have a second car to get around...particularly with the delay in parts we are seeing.

In my opinion, non-ZHP 330i's are undervalued, while ZHP's are over-valued..Your car, even in it's tired condition (doesn't look bad) has good value...possibly to somebody wanting to build a ZHP touring.

I sold my ZHP 6-speed 'vert 6 months ago and haven't looked back.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the input! Wasn't expecting all that.

Some other things to clarify they are both are automatics unfortunately. although I said "project" for the ZHP it wouldn't be full blown. Motor and trans seem pretty healthy and is sitting on fresh Bilstein shocks and struts. After inspecting it will for sure need inner/outer tie rods, sway bar links, oil leak fixed, the CEL off and other little knick knack things so hopefully nothing to major.

If I keep my 330i do you guys think it would be worth to take any parts off the ZHP? It has some dinan parts, the rear view mirror isn't filled with ink (330 is), and the pillars aren't sagging. Would that kill the value of the ZHP if I'd I put those small things in my 330?

Thanks again guys!

Registered
Thanks guys for the input! Wasn't expecting all that.

Some other things to clarify they are both are automatics unfortunately. although I said "project" for the ZHP it wouldn't be full blown. Motor and trans seem pretty healthy and is sitting on fresh Bilstein shocks and struts. After inspecting it will for sure need inner/outer tie rods, sway bar links, oil leak fixed, the CEL off and other little knick knack things so hopefully nothing to major.

If I keep my 330i do you guys think it would be worth to take any parts off the ZHP? It has some dinan parts, the rear view mirror isn't filled with ink (330 is), and the pillars aren't sagging. Would that kill the value of the ZHP if I'd I put those small things in my 330?

Thanks again guys!
No. It will not kill the value. Take the interior or exterior bits that are in better condition from the other car and send the beater down the road for someone else to throw thousands into it.

Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
No. It will not kill the value. Take the interior or exterior bits that are in better condition from the other car and send the beater down the road for someone else to throw thousands into it.
send the beater down the road for someone else to throw thousands into it.

鈫 THIS 鈫

Registered
Sell the beater

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really appreciate the input guys! Definitely going to take some parts that will improve my 330i (pillar covers, mirror, etc). I stopped into a bmw parts resale store and the owner seems interested to buy it and possibly part it out. I threw him a price of $3500 and he said will get back to me. Thanks everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts