BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i added a bazooka 10" sub and bazooka el260 bridged mono amp that feeds it 190 watts rms. when the trunk is open there is plenty of bass for my taste - things buzz and rattle (not that that is good but clearly there is enough bass to do it). in the car however, i can barely tell the difference. i still have the stock HK subs running - could they be cancelling some of the sound waves? i left them running because i cross-overed my sub at about 90Hz and i thought the stock subs would be a lot higher then that. if i disconnected the stock subs there would be a hole in the frequencies from where the deck speakers leave off down to about 90Hz. i played with the gain and bass boost settings which didn't seem to make much of a difference in the car. any ideas? should i try disconencting the stock subs? maybe remove one of them to create more of an opening into the passenger compartment (i don't have the ski-bag option)? its an '01 330i if that makes a difference.

separately, does anyone know if boston pro 6.4s would fit up front? i have a set laying around i am currently not using.

thanks,
marc

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think your problem is that the HK subs are still connected. I personally don't know too much about installation or how to tweak an amp, but the place I got my subs installed clearly stated that the HK subs had to be disconnected. I guess u can try that and see if it helps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
try removing the rear speakers you will get so much more bass. They are only for rear fill anyway you probably will not miss them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
pcdsl said:
I have the same problem. It has a little more bass... but not too noticeable. I left the HKs in also.
Remove the HK's from the rear deck (leave the screens in place) - our trunks are virtually air-tight, so it is very difficult for any sub to reach its potential in that small space. It should help significantly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in case anyone still follows this - i found that by removing the stock subs at high volumes, the bass was a little better and hit harder then stock but at typical listening levels the stock subs are better. it made no difference where in the trunk my sub was nor which direction it faced. since i don't have fold down seats nor the ski bag my option seems to be to get bigger/better sub(s) with gobs more power. drat. well, it was a fun learning experience.

·
Bimmerless
1,862 Posts
I know this doesnt help, but you shoulda forked out the extra flow for folding rear seats. Bas goes right through the seats with NP.

·
Registered
319 Posts
more power to the subs, more powerfull subs ...
I had the same problem before, running 2 DLS MW12 subs, each getting 200W RMS.
Now I have 2 Soundstreams Rubicon 12, each getting 500W RMS.

Now I have bass ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts