·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I bought ECS tunings

·
Registered
26,433 Posts
not chancing ebay with aluminum crap.................:hmm:
It might be $10 tops from the dealer and you can have it today. Ask for AAA or car club discount...even if you don't have either, you can always ask for a break for any part and will often get a little something off anyway. Most don't ask at a dealer, I suppose, but you can.

Quality, magnetic, OE...or were you just testing us? :lmao:

·
Registered
575 Posts
How about the place called the Dealer?

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
didnt know bmw made em, how bout not being a smart ass, cant even find it on realoem,all i see is the standard plug, i looked b4 i posted

if it is avail from dealer, would one of you know it alls please provide part #, tia

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
BMW has an OEM magnetic drain plug? I know ECS has one, and I've heard it's of great quality. I plan on getting one.

·
Registered
26,433 Posts
Oops...when OP asked for OE quality, I guess I focused on that more than even thinking whether ours was magnetic or not.

Whatever the OE plug is made from, though, I think I'd want to be that, whether magnetic, plastic, or cardboard!

I never thought that I've never collected metal on my drain plug...though I know there's a magnet or two in our drain pan. Hmmm? Has anyone ever just tossed a few extra magnets in?

I wonder if by being magnetic, whether it might then be of a material that would expand and contract differently than our aluminum drain pan. I'm sure there's some room for this built in, but also, the hollow plug has seemingly saved many guys from otherwise cracking the drain pan.

Okay, BMW, do I get my commission now?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Oops...when OP asked for OE quality, I guess I focused on that more than even thinking whether ours was magnetic or not.

Whatever the OE plug is made from, though, I think I'd want to be that, whether magnetic, plastic, or cardboard!

I never thought that I've never collected metal on my drain plug...though I know there's a magnet or two in our drain pan. Hmmm? Has anyone ever just tossed a few extra magnets in?

I wonder if by being magnetic, whether it might then be of a material that would expand and contract differently than our aluminum drain pan. I'm sure there's some room for this built in, but also, the hollow plug has seemingly saved many guys from otherwise cracking the drain pan.

Okay, BMW, do I get my commission now?
:rofl:

Also I ordered mine from TMS wasp9166

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looking at the plug, is the hollow part eliminated by putting the magnet in there? seems like it is

·
Registered
26,433 Posts
looking at the plug, is the hollow part eliminated by putting the magnet in there? seems like it is
Seems like it would be to me too.

So many have cracked their drain plugs only to discover how nice it is to get it out easily with an extractor.

I guess it can't hurt...you could drill a magnet out easily if you needed. Only risk is how strong the bolt is vs. those who might be tightening it. If it's only you, not much of a risk. Jiffy Lube? Morons? Then OE might save you an oil pan. I don't know how strong these non-oem plugs are and when they'd break.

Then again, I know I worry too much about too many things!

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seems like it would be to me too.

So many have cracked their drain plugs only to discover how nice it is to get it out easily with an extractor.

I guess it can't hurt...you could drill a magnet out easily if you needed. Only risk is how strong the bolt is vs. those who might be tightening it. If it's only you, not much of a risk. Jiffy Lube? Morons? Then OE might save you an oil pan. I don't know how strong these non-oem plugs are and when they'd break.

Then again, I know I worry too much about too many things!

nah,myself. 18 ft lbs, wouldnt bring my lawn mower to jiffy lube

If you didn't use a magnetic plug, will your engine blow ?
I use Castrol. Will my engine blow if I don't use a magnetic plug ?
Oh, OK. I haven't read it. But I am just wondering if and when my engine will blow ?
and your reason for polluting the thread is?

·
Registered
26,433 Posts
nah,myself. 18 ft lbs, wouldnt bring my lawn mower to jiffy lube

and your reason for polluting the thread is?
18 ft-lbs. Damn. I thought it was 'pretty tight'; that's the torque I've always used on it! :lmao:

I'm sure any of our sponsors would have a plug that would be completely adequate, magnetic or not, but I wouldn't want to use a plug that had widely ranging coefficients of expansion (if that's what it's called) from OE. Not knowing what they're made from, I have to go OE on stuff like this all the time. Same for the bleeder screw. BMW says it should be plastic...I'm not getting brass.

It won't make any difference, in all honestly. You have magnets already and they're made to hold years of metal particles. What they don't hold, gets filtered, and what doesn't get filtered probably doesn't hurt anything.

GN is just being friendly. He thinks there's no point in trying to get a better part than the one that came with it originally. I know if I agree with him, you'll just get that super magnetic one anyway, so I'll just keep quiet! I don't think it's a big deal either way...so sorry for taking that long to make my pointless!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts