E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,250 Posts
Guys need some info for scanner/programmer for my 01 330I, I got one off of Amazon and that retarded bunch that shipped it didnt tell me it works only for windows XP and 98, its 2014 no one dont use that crap. I have window 8.1.
It runs fine on my 64-bit Win7 machine even though they say it's not possible. Install should be similar to yours.

Search for the guide, I've seen at least two guides on how to do it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Just checked your link and wanted to verify for anyone else looking that this is a reliable version of the software. Have seen questions in the past about downloading a "genuine" or "safe" version, and that's the same software that was originally available direct from the developer's website.

I posted the following information some time ago in another thread, and in case this link goes down like so many others, it may be useful to include it here, as well. Below are the MD5/SHA hashes (similar to fingerprints for a person) of P.A. Soft's official BMW Scanner 1.4.0 files. If the contents of a file are different, the hashes will be different.

Files can be verified online with sites like OnlineMD5 or with a downloadable tool like HashTab. Have seen a number of links for this and like to confirm what I'm downloading and installing. Hopefully this helps someone out in the future:

BMW Scanner 1.4.0 Full Version:

File: “bmwscan_140.zip”
MD5: DD3EC43B60758A8FE8A5137A7C6A597C
SHA-1: AF4670D5C8FF88CBDB757D819FD511D9F89B6F20

File: “BMW Scanner v140 Install.exe”
MD5: 0B9D5F141AB310F1F888870736ACF411
SHA-1: 62D73FA9E481ECA4AB2E46832C64D421A0517846

BMW Scanner 1.4.0 Demo Version:

File: “bmwscan_140_demo.zip”
MD5: 50B03569C92056C644765B6094ED8438
SHA-1: DEA2800FBE5D0361448C5D46D3987B8C06EC5308

File: “BMW Scanner v140 DEMO Install.exe”
MD5: F4944C9B12BF0652324D4FDC34652697
SHA-1: FA788528B4C9EBE8EB27B8D1C576852CB685E0F3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just received my BMW scanner. The dang CD was blank! So I just tried that link above: http://bmw-scanner.software.informer.com/1.4/

The download and extraction seemed to work, and it showed up as expected in device manager, etc. However, when I clicked on the shortcut on my desktop, It said bad shortcut. Also It's not in my program list, nor is it in my control panel list where I would be able to delete it if wanted. Tried the download twice. BTW I also couldn't get the driver to stick. Kept disappearing after it said install successful. In the directory all I have is:
C/
BMWScan140 (folder)/
BMWScan140.exe (folder)/
Drivers (folder)/
7 FTDI files

There doesn't seem to be a start up file (.exe) for this program. The .exe listed above is a folder name.

So I'm wondering... could it be my virus software (Webroot) or maybe just a bad zip file? I'm running Windows 7 premium home.

As an alternative, I saw this link on page one of this topic and wondering y'all can confirm it's safe: http://www.obdreaders.com/Diagnostic...ostic+Tool/14/

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!! :ben:_nr_

UPDATE: Got it done with the help of lilmenace91 who provided me a good copy. It's working now!

·
Registered
304 Posts
My experience with the P.A. Soft scanner has been mixed. It will run under Windows 7 and will read all codes but it has trouble clearing them. I loaded the software on an old Dell laptop running XP SP3 and it works just great. My car is a 2000 with the round under-hood "Pac Man" connector. The PA Soft device MUST be hooked up via an adapter cable ($7) to it. Connecting the PA Soft device to the OBD port under the dash results in only reading engine codes. Later cars with only the under-dash connector are likely to be fine. There is software out there on fleaBay for around $60 that does a whole lot more than PA Soft but at least for early e46s mandates a true Windows XP SP3 laptop with a real 9 pin serial connector and adapters to get you to the Pac Man port.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Bim3Por911, My '05 is all through the ODB Port. Nothing under the hood with this model. And it turns out the Win 7 is not a problem as long as you get the right USB drivers, which I saw how to get from a couple other posts in the forum. Oh, and actual working software helps too!

Thanks to lilmenace91 for hooking me up with that software through drop box. You're a life saver!

Got rid of that pesky ominous air bag light. Tripped the error code when I connected the battery without the airbags connected, while I was replacing the window regulators. Doh!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
yes follow my DIY guide on installing the drivers for windows 7 64 bit. as far as windows 8.1 goes, I have not tried it and have no clue. perhaps that ftdi website could provide support for windows 8.1

·
Registered
457 Posts
bumping this thread since i reformatted my PC and lost everything.. anyone can PM me the full version of the software please or post a link here?

which one is the best to use? i see version 1.4.0.5 to 1.4.0.9??

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
bumping this thread since i reformatted my PC and lost everything.. anyone can PM me the full version of the software please or post a link here?

which one is the best to use? i see version 1.4.0.5 to 1.4.0.9??

Thanks..
The link six posts back is still active and is the full version. It's v1.4.0.9 (19.09.2011). :thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys, i too received my scanner from Xcar360 and my mini cd was snapped clean in half. I have downloaded the zip file and install it but it says there are no drivers installed. Does anyone have the solution? I am going crazy.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you SilberVogel, I'm running windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. I did the first step you linked for me and finally the software says it has drivers but now when i try to open the software it says Faulty hardware. do you know what i need to do now? I can't believe everything I try to do with my car takes twice as long or is too hard to acquire. Like my automatic transmission that I need. Living in Tassie sucks sometimes but mostly it is a little paradise.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Yep it was connected and key in position 2,
and then out of frustration position 1 and then 3 and then off lol nothing worked.
That seems to be one of the most common causes for it, but unfortunately, beyond that I'm not sure of what all else can trigger it. The instructions in those previous two links have worked for well for others, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in with another solution.

If it were me, I'd probably start fresh with a clean install just to make sure nothing got hung up along the way.

Can I get a Dropbox link your pms are full
The most recent link in post #22 is still active and is the full version.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just received my BMW scanner. The dang CD was blank! So I just tried that link above: http://bmw-scanner.software.informer.com/1.4/

The download and extraction seemed to work, and it showed up as expected in device manager, etc. However, when I clicked on the shortcut on my desktop, It said bad shortcut. Also It's not in my program list, nor is it in my control panel list where I would be able to delete it if wanted. Tried the download twice. BTW I also couldn't get the driver to stick. Kept disappearing after it said install successful. In the directory all I have is:
C/
BMWScan140 (folder)/
BMWScan140.exe (folder)/
Drivers (folder)/
7 FTDI files

There doesn't seem to be a start up file (.exe) for this program. The .exe listed above is a folder name.

So I'm wondering... could it be my virus software (Webroot) or maybe just a bad zip file? I'm running Windows 7 premium home.

As an alternative, I saw this link on page one of this topic and wondering y'all can confirm it's safe: http://www.obdreaders.com/Diagnostic...ostic+Tool/14/

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!! :ben:_nr_

UPDATE: Got it done with the help of lilmenace91 who provided me a good copy. It's working now!
I had the exact same problem about a bad link. Can you send me link to download that you got from lilmenace91?

21 - 40 of 112 Posts