BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brake pads on my '01 325i are worn and in need of change very soon.
From what i herd advance auto and autozone pads are garbage for bmw's, so i have come here to ask the following.....................

Where should i buy my pads from?
Im looking for decent price not over expensive to where theyll burn a hole in my pocket. I daily drive my car, its stock so no need to high performance pads just basic pads for a DD..also the rotors were recently changed and has not started getting grooves in them so theres no need to change them at this time, Just the pads are low

Thanks

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Just get some Stoptech Rear Pads...They like 50 bux for a rear set...

·
Registered
122 Posts
search: Akebono pads and brembo rotors.

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
Are we still accepting recommendations?

OE is textar. Evidently it's the same manufacturer as Pagid, because that's also stamped on the brakes.

If your fronts are OEs, I'd recommend strongly that you get textars in the rear.

In F1 they adjust brake bias many times on the track to achieve proper balance. We don't have that, so the engineers picked a compound and size to help us maintain balance.

You have 'pad X' in front. If you use a 'pad y' in back, you've just adjusted your brake bias. Undoubtedly the rears will deliver less stopping than they did before, since few pads (probably none!) stop better than OE compound...the rear would get slightly squirrley I'd think.

Also, of course, measure rear rotors for thickness...

Finally, while I'm pitching OE...

Just recently I did the front pads. They went 60K miles. The rotors in front also went 60K miles alongside them. The rotors were good for another set of pads. These pads were down to about 1.5mm-2 mm when I got to replace them about 700 miles after the warning light came on.

The rear pads at the time had half their surface left and the rotors were, of course, also above minimum thickness.

OE is really good stuff. BMW makes really nice cars and I think you should trust their engineers more than random people like me telling you they like this pad or that. Everyone likes the pads they have, though most here honestly care more about the dust than the stopping. Seems incredibly stupid when you consider that the purpose of brakes is to stop, but then again, I think some crazy things myself!

OE.

Face Munich, ask for blessing from the great Roundel, wash car, and don't let it happen again.

If it makes you feel better, instead of thinking that you 'just' got OE Textars, you could think you got BMW brakes. Your car deserves it!

BTW, SolidJake likes jurid pads better than OE, though it's also, I believe, an OE supplier. He's almost as smart as I am, so I'd consider that seriously too! :lmao:

Edit: Rotors? OE also...I wrote Balo before, I don't know if that's what they were...I just found my receipt for them, they were from a dealer, but you can find them online many places. Many sponsors here offer OE parts at reasonable prices (for BMW!); also bavauto, pelican, bmaparts (where's Mango?)

·
The Brake Newbie!
1,141 Posts
It all depends on what you are going for. Stock Replacement, Cool Factor, or Performance...

Stoptech Street Performance Pads has been real popular among the Fanatics Crowd that like OEM performance but less Dust. Jurid and Textar perform just like oem but still have crazy dusting...

As for rotors, I would go with ATE, OEM, Brembo, Stoptech and Centric.

[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts