E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I've been using this forum to get my 03 325xi into top shape since I bought it two years ago. Such a useful source of information.

But now I have come across a problem that I don't seem to find the answer to anywhere. It has been raining in NYC lately and I started hearing water splashing back and forth somewhere on the passenger side when I brake and accelerate. Seems like its in the door or maybe frame but can't tell if its front or back. Sounds as if couple gallons of it accumulated. When I open the door and shake it I don't hear anything.

There's a some discussion on water leaks in the e46 and how to fix them. I have looked all over and have not found any water leaking inside. Could the water possibly be in the door or frame/pillar without leaking?

I'm guessing it could be some clog in a drain somewhere, but before I start taking things apart and looking for it I figure I ask if anybody had similar experience or would have idea of how to precede. I'm not even sure where to look for the drains.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
(btw, no, there isn't a water bottle stuck under the passenger seat)

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,039 Posts
Check drain in door (1" in from bottom, 1" in from edge...if not there, find it or them...might be more than one...use toothpick/dental pick to clear.

Check also under pass cabin filter...there are drains there that get clogged...and finally, decent chance your rocker panels are plugged...drains in front and back...and I think middle too.

Drains all over...read up on the water leaking threads, you'll find many others...could be the first...water sloshing in roof cos drain unplugged...but not too likely.

GL...hth

Doug

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
That sounds bad, hopefully it hasn't already started to rust anything... maybe it's getting in through the window and outer seal down behind the door card/panel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Doug

The water was in the rocker panel. First I check the sunroof and door drains, all were good. As soon as touched the rocker panel, water started appearing at the edges. I drained most of it through the rubber pads by lifting them slightly with screw driver. Ran out of daylight to get to the drains, but will check those soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts