E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been able to figure this out 100% by testing, searching, or looking at parts diagrams.

When you set the A/C to recirculate, where does it suck in air from?

My best guess is that it's the footwell vents but it wasn't obvious enough from spraying ozium toward them.

(I'm in the middle of deodorizing the damp smell from the A/C, it smells great in some modes now but in others the damp smell is still there.)

·
Registered
684 Posts
there is an air duct in the floor underneath the driver and passenger seats. i don't know if they're used for recirculation, though... :hmm:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try replacing the filter in the front of your hood when u pop the hood it not where the engine is it there where your sprinklers are... hope it helps..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm really stuck for ideas now. I've disinfected the evaporator and swapped the microfilter for a new charcoal one. A couple of weeks ago I sprayed ozium through the whole system.

It seems to have made no difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
/well I had a look around the drivers pedals (I am in the UK btw drivers side is right hand side and from what I read on the net bmws were designed to run in a right hand side of the road country and when they made them to work in left hand side driving countries like the uk they didnt level exactly everything up) but anyway, from what i saw there is one big vent to the left hand side of the pedals which didn't suck any air just simply pushed it out when i run the recirc to feet area. I have read however intake is on the inside of the passenger side glove box area on another bmw model. As I have fixed my nasty air con smell for now by running a lot of hot air through the system, I wont be going to such lengths as taking the dash apart if that is where intake is on the 2002 e46.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Get yourself one of those things that makes smoke and just see where the air flows when center air vent flow is on, with cents pointed up.
With the windows cracked, blow some smoke down near your feet on either side and see which side produces the most air coming out of the vents (you will see most comes out center vents)

I have a e cig and it certainly clouds up more if I direct the flow through the USA left side (Driver's vent), near the petals.

Your result may vary, but I imagine if your IHKA unit has the same part # then it would be on passenger side for your car..

Cannot see the realoem diagram showing any of these ducts from memory, for my car.

Try comparing yours vs mine by using my last 7 of vin: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select?vin=Pl41114

I think If your part # is the same as mine, and you don't see any additional parts being used, it's safe to say they made it work the same.

Sent from my XT1254 using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Nicker, yes I had read it, but it seems I may have overlooked a line on there where it says "2C. Remove passenger side air flap from blower housing."... This indicates that there is no fresh air going into the car at all during air conditioning doesn't it?? This also answers the query to my other thread in which I was trying to locate a inlet for the air conditioning because when I went to spray some Dettol into the air intake both flaps closed.

Based on that experience I then went to look for internal recirculation intake. I was looking for an easy fix, not to spend a morning taking the car apart. Well this is an interesting revelation if so, no fresh air conditioning in bmws...

·
Registered
11 Posts
damn, curiously, having just read it again, I was wrong in my previous post, it seems it was part of dismantling of the system altogether, not just to spray in cleaner while it was blowing, I am still no nearer as to whether the flaps should be shutting or not during aircon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts