BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 745K km
800 Posts
It is most probably secondary air pump valve connector. Valve is on a back side of intake manifold.
T=it also can be engine temperature sensor connector, which is under manifold. Does your temp gauge work?

·
Premium Member
1974 BMW 3.0CS W/ AN S38B36
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its neither of those
ive been a mechanic for 50 yrs and know a bit you could be right lets think. the sec ar valve is way over in the right front which the wire wont reach, also it wount physically fit or go on.so that valve. and the temp sensor under the int man would be on the block and this wont reach that also
its only 4" long . it deosnt seem to be for the injectors as thats covered in the harness right next to it. in the loom.
seems like another wire would fub to it yet thats not really a design characteristic of bmw. outside of the smog sensor
anyway it got to so simple - once i figure it out.
alright.
alan

·
Registered
800 Posts
its neither of those
ive been a mechanic for 50 yrs and know a bit you could be right lets think. the sec ar valve is way over in the right front which the wire wont reach, also it wount physically fit or go on.so that valve. and the temp sensor under the int man would be on the block and this wont reach that also
its only 4" long . it deosnt seem to be for the injectors as thats covered in the harness right next to it. in the loom.
seems like another wire would fub to it yet thats not really a design characteristic of bmw. outside of the smog sensor
anyway it got to so simple - once i figure it out.
alright.
alan
Alan,
being mechanic for 50 years, you probably would have a closer look at the valve you mentioned (on passenger front), and then realize it is mechanical one and it is operated trough the vacuum line by electric one, the one i mentioned, and it in on a back side of intake manifold. It might be disconnected for years and never remind about itself.
Engine temp sensor ir right beside of 6th inlet well, so it is close enough too. But As if it was disconnected then temp dial wouldn't work, that is why I asked you if gauge works.

There are no any extra injectors wires there, apart from 6 fit in harness.

·
Registered
26,266 Posts
OP if it (and that loose hose you have) are both connected behind the intake manifold you'll find that removing the panel aside the bin with brake booster/abs (the left 'drug bin') and then the panel the cabin air filter housing screws into, you'll have room to work behind the manifold and plug those things in much easier. I know there are many pics here of the back of the intake manifold that should help you.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,476 Posts
Can't really help on my phone. I'd suggest using the wiring diagram, using the wire colors and all of the suspects within comfortable reach.

I realize it's obvious but have to ask. What recent work made xx connector suddenly appear?

(Cognizant I'm sounding like my wife, well where did you leave the keys last?😉)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ther should be an intake air tempetrature sensor in the manifold around the middle of that distribution bar. Is that connected? Is it from that?
Intake temp sensor is located in the middle of manifold and it is connected, you can see it on pic.It is air pump control valve or engine temp sensor, and I am positive to former.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Intake temp sensor is located in the middle of manifold and it is connected, you can see it on pic.It is air pump control valve or engine temp sensor, and I am positive to former.
Right. I can see the pigtail now. I was looking in the wrong place. The engine temp sensor is underneath the inlet manifold at the rear. Will it reach that far?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Probably SAP solenoid thats located in the back of intake manifold.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
plug looks like its coming from the back of the injector wiring housing, which would make it the coolant temp sensor on the block under the intake manifold, number 3 in this diagram : RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
its a pain to get to and recommend taking the intake boot and dipstick out of the way, and its still a tight squeeze. how did it come off??

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks to everyone for your input.--- so ive tried to attach to the valve at the rear od the int man yet it physically wont fir it has a different profile. ive installed a complete recycled engine as the other blew a head.
i had it insatlled a shop yet he turned out to be a real ahole and woldnt finish the job.
so i had to install all from intake manifold on. as theres the rub. so this seems so simple i just wish someone would
LOOK AT THERE CAR it would be so easy instead of all this guessing.
oh well.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as u can see im not the only one!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wait it is that wire only w/ a diff comnnector yet same function

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
ive been a mechanic for 50 yrs and know a bit ... and the temp sensor under the int man would be on the block and this wont reach that also
its only 4" long .
The temperature sensor is on the head, not block. But if the temp gauge is working then it's not the candidate.

I also vote for the SAC valve near the firewall under the intake monster.

·
Registered
800 Posts
thanks to everyone for your input.--- so ive tried to attach to the valve at the rear od the int man yet it physically wont fir it has a different profile. ive installed a complete recycled engine as the other blew a head.
i had it insatlled a shop yet he turned out to be a real ahole and woldnt finish the job.
so i had to install all from intake manifold on. as theres the rub. so this seems so simple i just wish someone would
LOOK AT THERE CAR it would be so easy instead of all this guessing.
oh well.
I am sorry, but the way it looks from your picture, it is 2 pin standard connector for valve OR engine temp sensor. So I doubt it doesn't fit.
Could you please catch couple of photos of your connector? Because for now, it make no sense.

Also, what is that on left side of your picture, covered with paper tape? Isn't it that valve you cannot connect wire to?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ive looked at the connector and it a brown/ red ans brown/ whitem so knowing bmw its a simple power and ground
also ive looked thru the whole elec diagrams in the factory manual and cant find it listed - connectoin w/ two leads.
oh well onward ok

1 - 20 of 34 Posts