E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question to all Canadian friends, where do you get your replacement parts? I'm in Vancouver and I'm starting to look around to get parts to do the inspection II on my m3. Does anybody here have discounts at the dealership for parts? Any suggestion on how to avoid custom and high shipping fees?

·
Registered
57 Posts
well i know some friends of mine get a lot of their stuff done across the border
cheaper prices there etc.

for me, i usually just order online and get it shipped to point roberts or ask the seller if they can ship as "gift" to my vancouver address so i can avoid paying customs etc.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
By your inquiry to avoid duty I assume you've never heard of Point Roberts. if so you've been missing out. It is a tiny peninsula near Tsawwassen that is US property. Its only 20 mins from my office in Richmond or 40 mins from Kits (assuming no traffic).

There's a few companies in Point Roberts that act as receivers for your packages. I use http://www.tsbshipping.com yet have been tempted to switch to http://www.thelettercarrier.com/ since it is walking distance to the border. They will sign for your package then send you an email confirming it has arrived. You cross the border, pay them a small fee for this service, then return with your package (and a tank full of cheap gas!).

Always declare your goods! They know why you crossed, be honest and they won't ding you with duty/taxes most of the time. I've crossed with $600 once and got waived through. I think I am over $5000 of stuff I've picked up without having to pay tax, and only $1500 I've had to pay tax on (and never duty!).

Sometimes there are really long lineups to cross, so being able to park and walk across is handy, thus why I may switch. Just means no tank of cheap gas, yet also no 20-30 min wait.

The same services are offered in Blaine. Its just further to that border from where we live/work.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
As for which companies to use... since you're shipping to a US address with a Canadian credit card some companies will give you hassle. ModBargains makes you fill out a form with your driver's license and other BS - gross, I avoid this crap since so many other companies will ship without this hassle. Here's a list of companies I've ordered from and shipped to Point Bob without issue:

- ECS Tuning
- FCP Euro (aka FCP Groton)
- BimmerWorld (required a followup email)
- Khoalty
- RM European
- Tischer (aka GetBMWParts)
- Amazon

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Oh, and if you do ship stuff to Point Bob, please let me know! Either you can pickup my stuff, or I can pickup yours if we both have packages waiting. Saves one of us a trip. I have stuff waiting there at least once a month, everything is cheaper in the US (especially athletic clothing/shoes!).

A couple weeks ago another member and I realized we crossed within hours of each other and could've saved the other a trip.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By your inquiry to avoid duty I assume you've never heard of Point Roberts. if so you've been missing out. It is a tiny peninsula near Tsawwassen that is US property. Its only 20 mins from my office in Richmond or 40 mins from Kits (assuming no traffic).

There's a few companies in Point Roberts that act as receivers for your packages. I use http://www.tsbshipping.com yet have been tempted to switch to http://www.thelettercarrier.com/ since it is walking distance to the border. They will sign for your package then send you an email confirming it has arrived. You cross the border, pay them a small fee for this service, then return with your package (and a tank full of cheap gas!).

Always declare your goods! They know why you crossed, be honest and they won't ding you with duty/taxes most of the time. I've crossed with $600 once and got waived through. I think I am over $5000 of stuff I've picked up without having to pay tax, and only $1500 I've had to pay tax on (and never duty!).

Sometimes there are really long lineups to cross, so being able to park and walk across is handy, thus why I may switch. Just means no tank of cheap gas, yet also no 20-30 min wait.

The same services are offered in Blaine. Its just further to that border from where we live/work.
d the other a trip.
Thanks so much for all this insider tips!
I will give it a try, if the overall price is worth it, as every time I'm crossing the border is an hassle as I don't hold a canadian passport. All the europeans that cross border via land have to pay a 6$ visa valid for 3 months. I hate to be send in every time! :censor:

But I can always send my GF there ;) she always shop from us and I guess i can push her to get a new pair of shoes :lmao:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
But I can always send my GF there ;) she always shop from us and I guess i can push her to get a new pair of shoes :lmao:
You could always make the trip with her and just wait on this side of the border while she crosses and comes back. If there's no border wait its only 15 mins to cross, get packages, get gas and come back. I'm sure she can find some stuff to have shipped there too, my GF always does! :)

As for price difference - I checked and the RTABs I sold you were $20 each, vs almost $50 at the dealer here. Plus most US companies offer free shipping within the US. Plus you probably won't pay tax, so even more savings!

Alternatively if US companies will ship USPS to Canada you could do that, shipping is usually only a few $$$ more. I will nolonger ship Fedex/UPS/DHL to Canada, the $35-60 brokerage fee negates a lot of savings and shipping is often much more expensive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just ordered a inspection 2 package along with some other items for M3 from Turner motorsports. Andy is a great person to talk to, great customer service, fast shipping, no delays or mess up of any kind. Any parts i need in the future, I will be ordering from them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
As for which companies to use... since you're shipping to a US address with a Canadian credit card some companies will give you hassle. ModBargains makes you fill out a form with your driver's license and other BS - gross, I avoid this crap since so many other companies will ship without this hassle. Here's a list of companies I've ordered from and shipped to Point Bob without issue:

- ECS Tuning
- FCP Euro (aka FCP Groton)
- BimmerWorld (required a followup email)
- Khoalty
- RM European
- Tischer (aka GetBMWParts)
- Amazon
Oh, and if you do ship stuff to Point Bob, please let me know! Either you can pickup my stuff, or I can pickup yours if we both have packages waiting. Saves one of us a trip. I have stuff waiting there at least once a month, everything is cheaper in the US (especially athletic clothing/shoes!).

A couple weeks ago another member and I realized we crossed within hours of each other and could've saved the other a trip.
Good tips from Chris

I walk across now because I don't like waiting in line, and sometimes when you walk, they have less incentive to tax you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.