E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy DAT Hex S600s speakers. :thumbup: I know that DAT's policy is not to honor warranty claims for speakers bought on the 'net. :read:

So, I'm taking a poll to find out where people have bought their Diamond speakers. :rolleyes:

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,056 Posts
Just get them on ebay. You can get them for half the price. 280 bucks. Who cares if you have no waranty. If you blow your speakers by overpowering them, then diamond will not waranty them anyways. It is not like the speakers are going to break. Amps, yea waranty is good. With the money you save from paying retail price you can almost buy another set.

Here ya go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32819&item=5701637979&rd=1

·
does anyone read my p0sts?
556 Posts
Actually, the rubber surround on most new diamond speakers can easily come un-glued after about 1 to 1.5 years of use in hot weather. This will cause minor but noticeable midbass distortion. It happened to both of my M6 midbass units after about 1.2 years of use here in florida. Thankfully, I had purchased them from a authorized dealer and they were replaced immediately free of charge.

Apparantly diamond will be reformulating their glue in the near future.

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,056 Posts
djabaley said:
Actually, the rubber surround on most new diamond speakers can easily come un-glued after about 1 to 1.5 years of use in hot weather. This will cause minor but noticeable midbass distortion. It happened to both of my M6 midbass units after about 1.2 years of use here in florida. Thankfully, I had purchased them from a authorized dealer and they were replaced immediately free of charge.

Apparantly diamond will be reformulating their glue in the near future.

Why buy such shitty speakers than? Get some focal polykevlars for 320 bucks off ebay. I know many people with focals and no problems. Focal makes 75k home speakers, so you wont have to worry about build quality or longevity of the speakers. Honestly diamonds are ok speakers, nothing to break your wallet on. I would not spend more than 300 on a set of s600s'.

·
does anyone read my p0sts?
556 Posts
^ If I understand your post correctly, you think I was implying that the un-gluing was a positive trait of the Diamonds? I was trying to illustrate the potential value that a warranty can bring with it in terms of car audio equiptment.

Even Focals are not imune to trouble. A quick read over at caraudioforum will reveal users who have had their Focal mid-bass cone material come de-laminated. Focal may make 75 thousand dollar home speakers, but I doubt that their cheaper car speakers are as well made.

My point is not to bag on Focal, who unquesionably makes nice speakers. However, it is a fact that car speaker failure rates are enchanced by the less than ideal environmental and electrical conditions to be found in the automotive environment. As such, I feel that - with regards to component speakers - purchasing from an authorized dealer can save headaches down the road.

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,056 Posts
djabaley said:
^ If I understand your post correctly, you think I was implying that the un-gluing was a positive trait of the Diamonds? I was trying to illustrate the potential value that a warranty can bring with it in terms of car audio equiptment.

Even Focals are not imune to trouble. A quick read over at caraudioforum will reveal users who have had their Focal mid-bass cone material come de-laminated. Focal may make 75 thousand dollar home speakers, but I doubt that their cheaper car speakers are as well made.

My point is not to bag on Focal, who unquesionably makes nice speakers. However, it is a fact that car speaker failure rates are enchanced by the less than ideal environmental and electrical conditions to be found in the automotive environment. As such, I feel that - with regards to component speakers - purchasing from an authorized dealer can save headaches down the road.

Actually focal uses the utopia line in there 75k speakers and tbe build quality is just as great in the car speakers. Under extreme conditions it might show some signs of wear, but i know many people including competitors that have used focals for years with no problems. I have bought all my speakers without waranty and never had a problem with any of them. If I damaged them it was because i overpowered them, and waranty does not cover a fried voice coil. An authorized dealer sells Diamonds for almost twice the ebay price. Lets say ur diamonds do get damaged, you can just buy another set with the money u save. If not u save that money in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.