BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a bunch of tools and I'm attempting my first DIY which is replacing my front brake discs. I already have a guide to do it but I only have one jack. Where do I lift it?? I couldn't find a forum on here with such information. Could I just lift the from the side ones if I go one disk at a time? Like the one about a foot back from the front wheel, lift it up, work, put it down, and then do the same on the other side?

Would prefer to find location on where to put the jack to lift the entire front. I know there's a lot of important stuff up front. I have a photo of where I think you lift it, but would like confirmation

Attachments

·
Shifting
32,049 Posts
Hey, when I do front brakes I engage the e-brake, jack up the car on the rear jack pad enough that the front wheel is off the ground and place a jackstand on the front jack pad. I do the brakes on that side, drop it and do the other side. Same goes for the rear but I chock the front wheels since the e-brake must be disengaged.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, when I do front brakes I engage the e-brake, jack up the car on the rear jack pad enough that the front wheel is off the ground and place a jackstand on the front jack pad. I do the brakes on that side, drop it and do the other side. Same goes for the rear but I chock the front wheels since the e-brake must be disengaged.
I love that idea, especially because I have watched my rears been done (minor involvement), so I even know where to lift it from the rear, however I don't have a jack stand ***128533; That's on the "to buy" list

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks just like my 00 328i. And yes, that round thing is where you put the floor jack.
Beautiful!!! Thank you so much!!! I got all my equipment on standby so I'll hop right into it!

·
Registered
471 Posts
It's a great point to jack, and a nice feature of older E46s with the tubular reinforcements.

OP, earlier in the thread you mentioned not having jack stands. Don't do anything until you do.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,560 Posts
You only need 3 ton jackstands unless you are going to do something serious. 6 ton stands often have a higher maximum height, which is useful if you are doing something with the transmission. And you can start with two if you are doing brakes, tho you should use four if you want to do a brake fluid change.

·
Registered
354 Posts
OP, earlier in the thread you mentioned not having jack stands. Don't do anything until you do.
This can't be emphasized enough. I've had a car come down off the jack while doing something as simple as changing a tire. You should never, never do any kind of real work on a car without jack stands, even if you won't be under the car. Jack stands are cheap as hell; there's no reason to take any unnecessary risks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This can't be emphasized enough. I've had a car come down off the jack while doing something as simple as changing a tire. You should never, never do any kind of real work on a car without jack stands, even if you won't be under the car. Jack stands are cheap as hell; there's no reason to take any unnecessary risks.
This is the most important advice you will ever get on this forum. Get some jack stands before you lift the car.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
i've seen a dead guy under a car that he had up on a jack in gravel

:tsk:

came home , looked across the st and thought, damn , that bumper is right on his gut , tight fit..............went in the house

came out of the shower sirens , came outside to see his gf come running out screaming

don't be a dope

and yes , that's the front jack point , drive the car up on a piece of plywood and 2x4, then you'll be able to get jack on that point and jack stands under both side pads

1 - 14 of 14 Posts