E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if by next summer i could pick up like an '01 M3 for around 35K...they seem to be low to mid 40s now, so this seems like a reasonable wish right???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my mechanic claims this isnt true, just a bunch of internet hype...says people need to learn how to drive, and not mishift at 7k rpms....besides, if this was truly the epademic everyone thinks it is, wouldnt a recall have been done....Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
mod220 said:
my mechanic claims this isnt true, just a bunch of internet hype...says people need to learn how to drive, and not mishift at 7k rpms....besides, if this was truly the epademic everyone thinks it is, wouldnt a recall have been done....Matt
BMW has a class-action lawsuit against them for all of the engine failures (and BMW's failure for completely acknowledging the problem).

I'm wondering those M3's that don't have engine problems now will end up having engine failures like the early 90's V8s (with the Nikasil blocks)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, so what will happen, do they swap the engines and pay some sort of restitution, or do they just pay everyone off...if the case is won, then all the '01 cars will be tainted beyond belief...i for one would strongly oppose purchasing such a car...Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
by the way Dream, doesnt driving the 328 just downright suck....i mean 10 second supra, 11 second z8, 13 second M coupe, then the 15 second performance...kind of like banging pam anderson, carment electra, and brooke burke, then getting a BJ from anna nicole smith no???

poor analogy i know, but its late and i dont care
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
mod220 said:
by the way Dream, doesnt driving the 328 just downright suck....i mean 10 second supra, 11 second z8, 13 second M coupe, then the 15 second performance...kind of like banging pam anderson, carment electra, and brooke burke, then getting a BJ from anna nicole smith no???

poor analogy i know, but its late and i dont care
:lmao:

Actually no, not really. Few reasons why:
a) Try to drive those first three and not get stared at. Attention is okay for the first 10 people, after that, it just gets really old.
b) With the Supra, ever see the commercial where the guy fills up the tank, starts the car, and the tank goes to E? Well not quite that dramatic, but still a fill up a day
c) The supra has those Sparco's...look great, but supremely uncomfy
d) No room in any of those three performance machines, try getting groceries, hauling friends, and school stuff in those things.
e) I hate the "so is this thing fast and furious?" followed by a cackle--people think they are so witty
f) Would you want a door ding on a car that costs more than a house?

Actually, i'm probably just whining, but the 328 is comfortable and just fine for daily driving. Not too good in the snow and hasn't been the most reliable car in the world---as soon as the warranty expires, i'm going to look at an RS6 or an E55 AMG...a fast, automatic sedan.
 

·
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
mod220 said:
by the way Dream, doesnt driving the 328 just downright suck....i mean 10 second supra, 11 second z8, 13 second M coupe, then the 15 second performance...kind of like banging pam anderson, carment electra, and brooke burke, then getting a BJ from anna nicole smith no???

poor analogy i know, but its late and i dont care
Your judgement of Anna Nicole Smith is way too generous. :tsk:

But seriously, I used drive a 328ci. It wasn't half bad. It wasn't fast, but it was a great car. Never gave me any problems. Sometimes when I'm rowing the gears I miss the feeling of driving steptronic. :eeps:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
mod220 said:
wow, so what will happen, do they swap the engines and pay some sort of restitution, or do they just pay everyone off...if the case is won, then all the '01 cars will be tainted beyond belief...i for one would strongly oppose purchasing such a car...Matt
Wouldn't be the first time for BMW. As I said above, the early 90s cars with the V8 (740, 540, and the 840) are cars to avoid at all costs---the cars with the Nikasil engine blocks will have engine failures and often times the repair is more than the car is worth. Those are the cars that become donor part vehicles or cars that mechanics drive.

BMW did eventually replace a lot of motors for people in the early 90s, unless they were out of warranty, in which case they were out of luck!
 

·
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch
Joined
·
3,238 Posts
TheDream21479 said:


Wouldn't be the first time for BMW. As I said above, the early 90s cars with the V8 (740, 540, and the 840) are cars to avoid at all costs---the cars with the Nikasil engine blocks will have engine failures and often times the repair is more than the car is worth. Those are the cars that become donor part vehicles or cars that mechanics drive.

BMW did eventually replace a lot of motors for people in the early 90s, unless they were out of warranty, in which case they were out of luck!
Scary thought :eek:
 

·
eh.
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
mod220 said:
my mechanic claims this isnt true, just a bunch of internet hype...says people need to learn how to drive, and not mishift at 7k rpms....besides, if this was truly the epademic everyone thinks it is, wouldnt a recall have been done....Matt
ur mechanics an idiot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
understand your point on the 328....i cant stand the attention my 323 draws sometimes...dont laugh im serious...as far as the 2001 M3, sounds like a waste of a beautiful car...unless i can get one w/ a blown engine and have my mechanic rebuild it with a supercharger....look out....matt
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top