BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that you should put on your winter-tires right before the first snow-fall. I've also heard that you can put them on when the weather starts to get really cold. So I'm just asking...which is correct?

Will the silaca compound allow me to use my current tires when they get cold? What is the temperature rating (Currently have S-03's, but putting on Pilot Sport 2's in 2 weeks).

Also, I got the pilot sports...now I'm wondering, how are their wet-traction? I picked them over the GS-D3's or S-03's cause of the asymetrical design...hoping to cut down on noise and get performace....but I have not heard how they are on wet-roads?

I know with a car this light, and tires this wide, hydroplanning happends easier than in most cars, I was hoping the PS2's were good at avoiding that situation though. The S-03's did hydro on me a few times. Scary when you feel your driving at an angle at 65 MPH.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Souvent said:
I have heard that you should put on your winter-tires right before the first snow-fall. I've also heard that you can put them on when the weather starts to get really cold. So I'm just asking...which is correct?

Will the silaca compound allow me to use my current tires when they get cold? What is the temperature rating (Currently have S-03's, but putting on Pilot Sport 2's in 2 weeks).

Also, I got the pilot sports...now I'm wondering, how are their wet-traction? I picked them over the GS-D3's or S-03's cause of the asymetrical design...hoping to cut down on noise and get performace....but I have not heard how they are on wet-roads?

I know with a car this light, and tires this wide, hydroplanning happends easier than in most cars, I was hoping the PS2's were good at it though. The S-03's did hydro on me a few times. Scary when you feel your driving at an angle at 65 MPH.
The PS2 is outstanding in wet traction and hydroplaning resistance.

I put my snows on when 1. *average* high temps fall below about 45-50 degrees and 2. There is threat of snow accumulation.

Of course it would be better to err on the conservative side and have your snows on for a few weeks beforehand rather than wreck the car by having summer tires on in the snow IMO.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
coolio4433 said:
Lucky for you you're in Indiana. You probably won't need them as soon as Fanatics in a few of the more snow prone states... :p
We average about 71" a year here in South Bend (most comes off of Lake Michigan)

There are some nasty little cities out there with 200+" though! :yikes: Glad I'm not there.

http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/normsnow.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
I live in central Virginia, and not many preople use winter tires, but we usually get just enough snow that they pay off. (And as anyone who runs snow tires can attest, you can drive rings around SUVs on "all-terrain" tires.) Anyway, I usually mount winter tires (Blazzak WS-50s) on my E30 on the first weekend in December, and I switch back to summer tires (RE750s) in mid-March. So far, I haven't mounted snow tires on my E46; if it looks like snow, I don't drive it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts