BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about the specifics of winter vs. summer tires.

Other than the fact that winter tires are suppose to grip better in snow + ice, do the compound make a difference?

I mean, will the softer (I think) summer compound grip less in cold temperatures?

If so, when is a good time to switch? When it starts to snow, or when the temp. drops to a certain point?

TIA

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
I'd say when the average high temperatures are consistantly in the mid to low 40's...Low enough that a cold snap and hard snow might stick for a couple days. A few guys here already have their snows on, but I'd say they're a bit early for northern Indiana.

Summer tires have almost no traction in snow.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say when the average high temperatures are consistantly in the mid to low 40's...Low enough that a cold snap and hard snow might stick for a couple days. A few guys here already have their snows on, but I'd say they're a bit early for northern Indiana.

Summer tires have almost no traction in snow.
So traction issue is only to do with snow then? Summer tires don't harden up or whatever in the winter?

The temp here in boston, esp in the eve is pretty consistent around 0-4 degrees C for the last week+.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Summer tires will still have less traction in cold weather simply from the compound getting harder, but not to the point where I would call them unsafe. Its on the snow where they become downright dangerous.

·
mod bug resistant
622 Posts
otacon said:

So traction issue is only to do with snow then? Summer tires don't harden up or whatever in the winter?

The temp here in boston, esp in the eve is pretty consistent around 0-4 degrees C for the last week+.
I'm also in Boston and changing to winter tires on thanksgiving.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AndyXXL said:

I'm also in Boston and changing to winter tires on thanksgiving.
I would have switched already, but I'm driving down to VA beach next Friday, so I was hoping I can hold it off until I return (Dec. 1st).

I figure climate @ Beach is warmer, and I don't think it's a good idea to drive 700miles each way with winter tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts