BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Eh, the only ones I would've kept were the steering pump and MAF. It's hard to believe those were replaced by necessity. Those and the oil sending unit/vanos solenoid were the only parts I saw out of schedule/order. But the latter two most likely had issues and were replaced. Don't see VANOS seals...
I'd check it for vaccum leaks since its been 7 years since those have been addressed and be glad someone else did the shit jobs haha

I'm still on my original, 18 y/o 110k miles starter, MAF, vanos solenoids, power steering pump and oil sending unit. No issues.

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
168 Posts
I just try and sell the old parts locally for cheap. Heck, I sold my 9 year old winter tires for $50 for the set - I was very clear in the ad that I wouldn't recommend them for the street, but that they were good burner tires for drifting. Guy still put them on his Jetta

·
Registered
26,149 Posts
I'd kept all of mine. Relubed some pulleys, replaced a few therms prophylactically...kept replaced belts with my spare tire. When my car was crushed, the parts went to a local Fanatic with 3 e46s...so some may live on...some may strand his family member. :)

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't understand.
I was kind of poking fun at the the PO's that just said to the service writer, 'OK, if that needs replacing I guess I'll have to pay for it'.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I kept most of my old parts unless they were junk or returned for credit, got a cabinet full of them.
I have a few parts on the shelf as well. I also toss the junk into the bin.

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
6,438 Posts
I'd kept all of mine. Relubed some pulleys, replaced a few therms prophylactically...kept replaced belts with my spare tire. When my car was crushed, the parts went to a local Fanatic with 3 e46s...so some may live on...some may strand his family member. :)
Not sure I understand OP's purpose of this thread. You wish you saved the old parts that someone else who serviced your car replaced? But yet you never say why, leaving all of us to wonder why the F you even made this thread in the first place? A++ THREAD.

I'm with Dougie here. I kept just about everything I pulled off my car personally, as "just in case" stuff. Never really re-used anything which is where the lulz comes in. However, once my 330i got totaled, I sent all of these parts to my friend as his wife and 2 sons had E46's and his sons were in their low 20's and could really use some cheap replacement parts if need be.

Of course, FCP now has ruined the value in doing any of this. But if you're not servicing your own car, this won't matter at all to you and you likely have no clue who FCP is.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
....yet you never say why, leaving all of us to wonder why the F you even made this thread in the first place? A++ THREAD.
Did you miss "I was kind of poking fun at the the PO's that just said to the service writer, 'OK, if that needs replacing I guess I'll have to pay for it' " or did you just feel a need to add your snarky comment?

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
6,438 Posts
Did you miss "I was kind of poking fun at the the PO's that just said to the service writer, 'OK, if that needs replacing I guess I'll have to pay for it' " or did you just feel a need to add your snarky comment?
You're still not making any sense whatsoever and this thread just hurts my brain. Can you rephrase why you created this thread in normal, plain layman's english? thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
You're still not making any sense whatsoever and this thread just hurts my brain. Can you rephrase why you created this thread in normal, plain layman's english? thanks!
He's just saying he wished he had those parts as backups/freebies. Its really not that hard. Your post is coming across really passive aggressive when he's just trying to have a light hearted discussion. My mom taught me "if ya got nothing nice to say, best not say anything" :D

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,131 Posts
I will tell you, after finishing so many E46 projects, that the stuff I was glad I saved was screws and clips. Never reused the big pieces like alternators. From my perspective, though some parts like water pumps can have a second life, most are worn out, and the work to get at and replace parts relative to part costs doesn't justify reusing.

And the s*** piles up! I threw away everything except interior parts and stuff like subframes that I am selling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts