BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crashed my car 2 nights ago- went into a tight 180 degree uphill right hander at about 120-130km/h, was about to hit the apex (ie. round 90 degrees) when car started to understeer abit, think i then put down some more power down to try and correct it, cos it worked abit too well- the rear stepped out big time, i believe i panicked, jammed the brakes, spun and ended up with the nose of my car in the divider.

question is: isn't ASC supposed to prevent the rear from swinging round (too much)? cos i sure as hell did not see the traction light light up- and i guess i was depending on ASC to prevent a spin... and "no" i definately did not turn it off.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
ASC has very limited control of the car.

Unfortunately, you also did just about everything wrong after the tail started to come around. :( The best I can really suggest is that you attend a few driver's schools in the future. You really ought to try to develop the reflexes needed to keep control of the car in these sorts of situations. I know mine need work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, i know... panic reflexes took over... sigh.
expensive lesson learnt!
and yes... time for those driver schools!

·
Registered
339 Posts
ASC only helps correct slight imperfections in driving. Blaring oversights and if you manage to take a look at the dash while spinning you'll see a little light come on that says "You're screwed"

Remember, the system is a 're-active' system, not an 'active' system. It only will come into play once you start to lose grip... if you go from full grip to massive loss of grip, by the time it comes on... too much momentum has gone into the slide and trac control can't fix it.

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,731 Posts
sorry to hear i hope your okay and you get things taken care of quick.. sorry to hear bro..:sad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, ASC kinda sucks then dosn't it?! not that i'm trying to say that its a replacement for driving skills, or rational behaviour- just that it ain't that great a safe-guard after all.

The car's not that bad- scrubbed of loads of speed whilst going sideways/spinning- but looks like i might have to replace the m-technik bumper and driver's sider headlights... and that's gonna be major dosh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although i wish i was in the states! modding ur car over here is a pain! i've had to import tons of stuff from the states (GruppeM, UCC TSE exhaust, Ignition Solutions Plasma coils, M3 "SMG" wheel (from vince- he's a super super helpful guy- and the kit works great!!!), UUC sway bars, and (to come soon...) UUC VSB Front and Rear), and pay big shipping charges! u guys should be grateful being where u are!

if there's anyone from UUC reading this: i've written u guys a several mails over the past month and a bit, and i've yet to receive a reply- ur products are top-notch, but ur response times to e-mails are rather terrible!!!

Next time i'm gonna get DSC and make sure i've attended some drivers' schools...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
damn ... the cost of a 330i in KL must have put a hole in ur wallet huH? How much did it cost u?!?! .. and all those mods .. soo much $$$$$

I know that a 330i in Thailand is around 4.X Million Baht..which is around $100,000 ... crazy stuff~~
now, people livin' in the US shoudl consider' ourselves lucky!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DUn think thats a good excuse... dun wanna slag UUC off, but it's literally been over a month since i first wrote them... i've already ordered and received the swaybars, exhaust, DDEs and pedal set- then went on to order the VSBs front and rear- and this is how they treat a customer?! i'm gonna drop over 5k there and they ignore me... i think that's too much- harsh rob or no harsh rob.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the 330i set me back around 330k malaysian ringget- that's bout 87k USD. yar it's ****e, tell me bout it! but at least i'm getting the mods at the same price that the rest of u guys are getting them at!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
WKC369 said:
the 330i set me back around 330k malaysian ringget- that's bout 87k USD. yar it's ****e, tell me bout it! but at least i'm getting the mods at the same price that the rest of u guys are getting them at!
no import duties?!?! or u managed to find a way to work it out .. hehehe .. u know wut i mean (i'm Thai) =)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, i get my mods shipped to singapore- there's no import duty there- and i know this great mechanic in singapore, so he does all my mods, and i just drive back across the causeway with a slightly faster/noisier car!

nothing dodgy like what rAyZ is suggesting! hahaha.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
hmm..aint' it like a 3-4 hr drive from KL to Singapore??!!
But yeah, I guess it's worth a drive! since u can get them for so much cheaper!!! Thailand is pretty crazy on import duties..so sometimes you just have to find ur ways around .. haha!

·
Registered
177 Posts
WKC369, I was just in KL this summer, my uncle lives in Bukit Lorong Pan Tai....KL is an awesome city..........

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KL is cool- esp if ur into driving fast- the new highways serve up a great mix of turns and straights, and law enforcement is lax. there are no emissions/noise/whatever regulations, so u can tune as mad as u wanna go!
and the food's brilliant as well as being affordable too!!!

rAyZ- haven't dynoed my car yet, but it's a fully imported non-detuned UK-spec car, so i'm assuming a stock Hp of 230+? the really sad thing is even with all my mods on, i'm not really out-running one of my mates in a stock 330i- but my car sure SOUNDS faster though! hahaha. anyhow, i'm sure u guys up north in thailand just tune is back up the moment it's in private hands! and btw, its "only" takes me 2.5hrs to get to singapore from KL.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,348 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about yoru accident. ASC wouldn't be able to react in time for somethign that severe. :sad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts