E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done wheels alignment due to changing control arms. It still gives steering wheel vibration at 80-100 km/h in highways.
I wonder to know these values are good enough or it needs realignment.
I am using winter tires. Can it be any ither reasons ?

Car: bmw e46 325ci 2004

Attachments

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,300 Posts
Many confuse wheel alignments with vibrations. Never so. One can have a horrible wheel alignment and perfectly straight/balanced wheels. Car doesn't vibrate. It may well pull, but will not shake.

With respect to your wheel alignment: It's satisfactory and I wasn't under your car. More as a tutelage to others...

Front cambers are out of spec, however very close to each other. GOOD
Rear camber shows a little more side to side discrepancy than I'd like to see.

It's very possible that the left side was maxed out and no more could be had? (See it often) In such cases we defer to have the both sides (In your case, reduce right side) so that they are closer together.

Likely you won't feel anything except on a hot day and Michelin Pilots installed....

EDIT
What is also interesting is the total setback displayed TWO ways.
It's usually just a negative or positive number that we can use as a reference point if we need to diagnose any issues post alignment.

Almost no car is perfect past rolling off of the assembly line. Your's has a setback of 0.08 (very respectable) and since it's a positive number, this means that the left side is longer.
(Measurement is center/center of left wheels to center/center of right wheels)
I've not seen a printout in a LONG time that actually displays measurement numbers.
Your's is:
107.27 L
107.13 R

Again just fine.
If the setback number was approaching or over a 2.0 number, I would start to be concerned.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I would get the tires rebalanced with a careful check of rim/tire runout. If memory serves, 1mm is borderline for rims. Side to side and up/down at rim edge. You could try switching back to front. If shaking moves, start with those two. Did your summers do the same? My tech balances at each season change.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many confuse wheel alignments with vibrations. Never so. One can have a horrible wheel alignment and perfectly straight/balanced wheels. Car doesn't vibrate. It may well pull, but will not shake.

With respect to your wheel alignment: It's satisfactory and I wasn't under your car. More as a tutelage to others...

Front cambers are out of spec, however very close to each other. GOOD
Rear camber shows a little more side to side discrepancy than I'd like to see.

It's very possible that the left side was maxed out and no more could be had? (See it often) In such cases we defer to have the both sides (In your case, reduce right side) so that they are closer together.

Likely you won't feel anything except on a hot day and Michelin Pilots installed....

EDIT
What is also interesting is the total setback displayed TWO ways.
It's usually just a negative or positive number that we can use as a reference point if we need to diagnose any issues post alignment.

Almost no car is perfect past rolling off of the assembly line. Your's has a setback of 0.08 (very respectable) and since it's a positive number, this means that the left side is longer.
(Measurement is center/center of left wheels to center/center of right wheels)
I've not seen a printout in a LONG time that actually displays measurement numbers.
Your's is:
107.27 L
107.13 R

Again just fine.
If the setback number was approaching or over a 2.0 number, I would start to be concerned.
Thank you for explanation.

I would get the tires rebalanced with a careful check of rim/tire runout. If memory serves, 1mm is borderline for rims. Side to side and up/down at rim edge. You could try switching back to front. If shaking moves, start with those two. Did your summers do the same? My tech balances at each season change.
I drove only once with summer tires. Do not remember if it was shaking while driving in highways, but it did while braking so i changed brake rotors and pads. Now it brakes smoothly with no vibration.
When i came to service to replace tire for winter season a guy told me that control arms need to be changed as ball joints and bush kits were shaking.
I guess it is bad tires according to comments.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,300 Posts
Thank you for explanation.

I drove only once with summer tires. Do not remember if it was shaking while driving in highways, but it did while braking so i changed brake rotors and pads. Now it brakes smoothly with no vibration.
When i came to service to replace tire for winter season a guy told me that control arms need to be changed as ball joints and bush kits were shaking.
I guess it is bad tires according to comments.
Hang on just a second. In one breath, they state you need Ball joints and bushing kits.
Then they perform a wheel alignment anyway with play in the suspension?
Am I understanding you correctly?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
And one more second, I think loose suspension may allow out of round/balance rims/tires to shake more.
I'd get a second opinion on the suspension from somebody who knows bmws.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hang on just a second. In one breath, they state you need Ball joints and bushing kits.
Then they perform a wheel alignment anyway with play in the suspension?
Am I understanding you correctly?
Control arms with bushing set were replaced with new ones then wheels alignment were processed.

·
Premium Member
2002 BMW 540Ti, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP, 2001 325Ci
841 Posts
Bent rim or broken cord in tire, continues fight, much $$$ money spent at Rim Doctor
got to share with you all, I have a mobile tire guy dismount mount an balance $25 an he puts just he rim on balance machine before mounting, turn it finds bad ones every time. If rim bent take whole thing to Rim Doctor $$

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So with fresh parts, alignment, you have wheel shake?
yes, but i have just learned from a guy and also in above comments say that alignment does not affect to steering wheel vibration. But wheels were balanced while i change to winter tires. A guy told it need to be rebalanced or rims are not good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts