BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be replacing my wheels on my E46 M3 and found some of the wheels I liked may require that I run Spacers in the rear. I would need to run a 10-20mm Spacer in the rear. What is your opinion(s) on running Spacers?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
If they're engineered and designed for the M3 and the specific wheel, then no problem. For example we sell some winter wheels that use special BMW hubcentric spacers and longer lugs to make up for the difference in offset on the rear.

If they're generic or 'universal' spacers, this is not good, can cause vibrations. Using spacers means you'll need different, longer lugs in 95% of cases.

·
Registered
151 Posts
H&R's spacers for BMRS are hubcentric and made to fit your BMW exclusively. just make sure you order the correct fittament and get the proper length bolts.

·
Europrojektz East
7,361 Posts
If they're generic or 'universal' spacers, this is not good, can cause vibrations. Using spacers means you'll need different, longer lugs in 95% of cases.
Gary,
In my particular case, I have 18x8.5 Lowenhart BR5 rims with an offset of +44. When I had my rims testfitted, the shop where I took my car to said that there was a good chance that my wheel after being mounted to a 235/40/18 tire would rub against the front strut. Therefore they advised me to look into purchasing 3mm wheel spacers for my front wheels only. But with 3mm wheel spacers I shouldn't need to get longer lugs, right? (I'm guessing I might be among the 5% of cases not needing longer lugs if I go with spacers).

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,121 Posts
I have 15 mm H&R spacer on my back rims. They pushed my stock rims out very nicely. No problems at all. Love the look. :thumbup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
mtfour said:
I have 15 mm H&R spacer on my back rims. They pushed my stock rims out very nicely. No problems at all. Love the look. :thumbup:
Are you running extended wheel locks as well? if so where did you find them?

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,121 Posts
otto325coupe said:

Are you running extended wheel locks as well? if so where did you find them?
Yep, 45 mm wheel bolts. Cost $2.50 each, all from www.turnermotorsport.com. Look under "Suspension & Wheels" and click on "H&R Spacers". Scroll all the way down and click on "H&R Wheel Spacers" and it will list all spacers and all bolt lengths for each spacer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just got my 12mm H&R spacers today, still waiting for the bolts... my question was about wheel locks though. Are you running locks on your wheels? I found RAD locks but will take 4-6 weeks to order

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,121 Posts
Oh, wheel locks. Actually no. I don't have any wheel locks on my wheels yet. I would imagine that they should also be a little longer too. I need to get some though. I had a Mustang GT convertible about 10 years ago that didn't have wheel locks on it. Came home from work one day and it was sitting on blocks behind my apartment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts