BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not sure how to describe this, but basically if driving constant at low speed (5mph) or slowing down to a stop, I can really hear the rotation of the wheels (wobling?) and it's pretty deafening kind of like sitting next to the wing section of an airplane

the speed dissappears after speed picks up above 10mph

Either the car needs new control arms and wheel bearings or this is normal. This is my first bimmer so I can't tell if it's normal, but it is pretty annoying. I may test drive another bimmer to compare.

I'd hate for the dealer to tell me it's normal after he checks it, my wife's old corolla sounded quieter for crying out loud.

is this normal? any experiences?

by the way, the car is an 01 330ci with 10000 miles. Previous owner did run over some debris on the highway and had to have front rims/tires replaced.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My car does the exact same thing. Almost sound like breaks slightly grinding at low speeds, but I checked everything out and nothing seems wrong. Let me know if you find out anything. I have 13k on it right not and it didn't do this when I first got it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i guess i'll take it in to the dealer and see what they say since I'm not sure how to check torque on the lugs.....

while i'm there perhaps i'll test drive other coupes, to see if i'm paranoid or if there's really a problem with my car.

either way, it's quite annoying, i almost can't hear my passenger sometimes....i didn't expect this out of a $40K car. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after reading some more threads, it may be the tires too....right now they are dunlop sport 8080s....the fronts are 225 i think and the rears 245....are they supposed to be different?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
never mind, just answered my own question about the tire sizes...225/45/17 front, 245/40/17 rear .

just wanted to know if anyone had experience with dunlop 8080s...thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts