E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
when people change their bearings they always recommend removing the ABS sensor because they are afraid of damaging it. when i replaced my bearing I dont SEE how removing the bearings could ever damage the sensors. can someone explain?
:dunno: The DIYs that I have seen made no mention of this. I left my ABS sensor where it was at and everything was fine.

You'd have to be pretty careless to damage it IMO.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Timken distributes through several of the chain auto parts dealers (Napa, O'Reilly, Autozone). Check your local chain stores to see who carries them, I found mine at Autozone.

Here is a good video of an E46 with a bad wheel bearing. Thanks to BimmersGarage for the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf3k21QiQxs
@Spage
First, Thank you for the write-up on the differences on the bearing Brands and your detail observations.

Second, Thanks for referencing my video! :D

when people change their bearings they always recommend removing the ABS sensor because they are afraid of damaging it. when i replaced my bearing I dont SEE how removing the bearings could ever damage the sensors. can someone explain?
This may Only be necessary if you know you're careless or that you're giving your vehicle to a mechanic that's aggressive with their impact wrench and/or tools in general.

is it necessary to replace wheel bearings when replacing rotors ? (as part of a brake job)
no.

However, if you're going to have your brakes worked on that's the best time to test for bearing failure because you can hear it when you have the calipers removed > just do the test as shown in my video above. If it sounds anything like that, then get your bearings replaced. (That's my recommendation.)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I replaced the brakes on my wife's car last year but didn't think to test the bearings.

Recently, my wife has been complaining of noise when she's turning and it's usually when she's turning at very low speeds, like in a parking lot. I was backing out of the driveway the other day and didn't hear the noise (sounds like a low pitched growl) until I began turning the wheels. Backing out straight, nothing. Backing while turning, noise.

Could this be a bad wheel bearing?

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Thanks for the review. When I need wheel bearings, I'll know what to buy.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Timken, F A G, and SKF is one of the Best Bearing Company.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I replaced the brakes on my wife's car last year but didn't think to test the bearings.

Recently, my wife has been complaining of noise when she's turning and it's usually when she's turning at very low speeds, like in a parking lot. I was backing out of the driveway the other day and didn't hear the noise (sounds like a low pitched growl) until I began turning the wheels. Backing out straight, nothing. Backing while turning, noise.

Could this be a bad wheel bearing?
:bump:

I still haven't checked it yet, but if the wheel bearing is bad, wouldn't it most likely make the same noise while rolling straight instead of just while turning the wheel or are there different forces acting on the bearing while turning?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wheel bearings were fine. It was an empty PS reservoir instead.

While I was in the wheel well looking at everything, I noticed a drop of fluid hanging from a boot. I popped the hood and checked the PS reservoir and it was as empty as last year's bird nest. D'oh!

·
Registered
2016 M235i 6-spd
25,950 Posts
Wheel bearings were fine. It was an empty PS reservoir instead.

While I was in the wheel well looking at everything, I noticed a drop of fluid hanging from a boot. I popped the hood and checked the PS reservoir and it was as empty as last year's bird nest. D'oh!
Winner is often the hoses beneath the reservoir which can easily be trimmed and reclamped...also the hose going to the PS pump...and those funky fittings next to radiator seem to seep a lot too.

And, of course, a $2 gasket for reservoir cap, and I'd recommend also cleaning the vent tube on the cap, especially if you noticed a lot of dried gunk around the PS reservoir.

They'll seep, but that it was totally dry? :frown: Keep an eye on things...unless, of course, she's not that nice! :lmao:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Fit a puller on there and if you spin the puller (like if you're not holding it enough when torquing the bolt) you will have sensor to puller contact.

The sensors destroy REALLY easy

·
Registered
41 Posts
*** timken bearings

I replaced my front bearings and still have the same noise.
I spun the rears and they seem ok.Just a growling at low speeds.
I am posting here to add my experience,I ordered timken from fast undercar
at 150 each. They were *** made in Germany parts. Car has just over 100k.
Dealer wanted 275 each.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I replaced my front bearings and still have the same noise.
I spun the rears and they seem ok.Just a growling at low speeds.
I am posting here to add my experience,I ordered timken from fast undercar
at 150 each. They were *** made in Germany parts. Car has just over 100k.
Dealer wanted 275 each.
Are you sure it is not the tires? The OE tires grumble a bit at low speeds, my winter tires do as well. My aftermarket wheels/tires are quiet as a church mouse.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Agreed! Timken products are usually premium, and in the same league as F*A*G or INA.. Duralast is garbage, expensive magnetic paperweight... Although if I had to choose one for my BMW I'd simply go with OEM since I like to keep things OEM on the car (just a personal quirky preference)..

·
Registered
195 Posts
120k and one rear bearing just went. Replaced both with F A G at £30 a piece and while at it, I cleaned and re-greased the front bearings too. I wouldn't put Timken on the same par with F A G.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.